 Pirates / 3851
Re: Ugh, smokey Lego!!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates
Date:
Sun, 2 May 2004 13:21:17 GMT

In lugnet.pirates, Wesley Davis wrote:
I ordered a 6274 from some guy over eBay...I could see a few pieces were
substituted, but what I didn't know was that he was a smoker! So, today I got my
first smokey Lego. It REEKS! I mean, it stinks up my whole room! I threw
everything (save the shooting cannons, becuase of the springs) into a sink full
of dish-soapy water, but I'm not sure if this will do it. Does anyone have
experience with this or have a link to some info that would help me de-smoke the
Lego pieces? *shudder*

I know the hull pieces and sails aren't supposed to be submerged in water, but
the odor has virtually ruined them anyway.
Wes,
They aren't ruined!  What you did was correct.  You can clean them in soapy dish
water and they should come out okay.  You might want to use a scented dish soap
or you can even try washing them with a little bleach in the water.  I've had
good luck cleaning the smokey smell from lego parts this way.  It isn't that
hard to do.
As for the sails, you can wash them, but they start to fray on the edges if they
get washed too often or too aggressively.  I usually wash my sails and iron them
once they are dry.  If you lay them out flat when they are wet and let them dry
that way, they may not need ironing.  If they start to fray a little around the
edges, you can take a sharp pair of scissors and trim off the fraying strands
and make the edge look crisp again.
I've even washed items like the cannons with springs with no problems.  The only
thing you want to do is make sure it gets good and dry.  I usually spread out
the parts and have a fan blow on them overnight.  It seems to work fine!  I also
use those cans of air you can buy for dusting to blow into the holes and
crevices to get all the water out.  I've never had any parts rust doing this.
Good luck and I hope everything comes out okay...
Tom