 Pirates / 3809
Re: A few of my creations.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates
Date:
Wed, 21 Apr 2004 19:48:31 GMT

In lugnet.pirates, Richie Dulin wrote:
   In lugnet.pirates, Daniel Yuhas wrote:

Ahoy!

I’ve been wanting to build a spider themed ship for quite a while, and I first intended the webs to be the rope ladders, but that didn’t work out as planned, so I used one as a flag, two as windows, and 4 as nets covering
   the bottom deck where the cannons are. I finally got to build a spider
ship after I found two Aragog in the Dark Forest sets for $4 each on clearance at wal-mart. It has 2 big cannons and 2 little cannons on the front that can swivel around.

Nice work. And a clever idea too!

Thank you very much.

   I like using parts from space sets and town sets in Pirate creations and seeing if I can make them look good. An example of that is the crow’s nest. It is made of a big space tire.

I’m not sure I care for the radar-dish ‘umbrella’ over the crow’s nest, but a good use for a part that would normally be nowhere near a pirate MOC. And I like the use of the green arms on the Captain Redbeard torso too.

Yeah, I was thinking of putting one of those sand green roof pieces from Harry Potter sets above the crow’s nest to make the ship have more sand green, since I only have a little bit, but the radar dish is a bit easier to put there. I know how I could attach the sand green roof, but the flag pole on top wouldn’t stay on very well since it’s just a stud with no hole on top of the roof piece.

If you think the radar dish is out of place, you have to see my imperial navy ship. It has car windshields as windows and the back window is a tiefighter cockpit, the mast is made out of technic beams and white space tires. It actually doesn’t look too bad, just gotta use your imagination. Once I get better pieces to make masts with, the tires will be removed, mainly because the mast falls apart a lot.

   I don’t have the rigging on it, but I should get it on there soon. I’ll take more pictures of it when I do and put them in my brickshelf portfolio. The ship is called The Black Widower.

Looking forward to seeing more!

Rigging the ship is my least favorite part of building I think, but oh well. I will do it one of these days, I still haven’t done the rigging on most of the other ships either, but I will soon hopefully. I’ll take pictures right after I do.

   I think the figurehead is my favorite part.

Yes! Very cool.

I had been looking for a place to put that witch head, because I thought it looked to crazy to be a person in my town or a soldier or even a pirate. The figurehead gave me a place to put it.

   I built this lighthouse yesterday. I found a bunch of canisters full of 100 bricks each at Kroger’s a week or so ago when I was visiting my aunt. They were $1.50 each, so I got 10 of them. I was really interested in the lids of the canisters. they looked like large LEGO pieces with a big stud that said LEGO on the top. I wanted to use one for a lighthouse roof. So when I got home, I did. I know I may get shunned for this, but I used glow in the dark Megabloks pieces for the light. I like them.

Clever!

   The lighthouse didn’t turn out as good as I was picturing in my head, but it’s pretty good in my opinion. It just looks a little juniorized like a little kid might have made it. Oh well, at least it’s better than my old lighthouse. That thing looked more like a striped mountain with a light on top.

It’s probably handicapped somewhat by the available colours...red and white would be more traditional after all. Less tapering might help too. If you’re going for a remodel, a deck and railing at light level might be useful.

I have another lighthouse that’s currently in my port town, but it looks horrible. It is red and white, which I like, but I started at the bottom and wanted to make it smaller and smaller as it went up. It ended up looking sooo weird. I’m definately taking it apart and building a new one when I redo my town. The new one will have the lid roof like my new one. I can make it either blue and white or red and white. Haven’t decided which I’ll do yet. I think I’ll make the new one go straight up, but I wanted there to be room on the inside for something. Maybe a little house, but I’ll probably just build it to be part of a house, like have it a corner of a little house.

   I’ll probably add it to my port town when I redo the town. I’m gonna attempt to make it much bigger. I’ll take pictures of how it is currently and I’ll take pictures of it after I redo it.

Tell me what you think.

I’ll add my other ships and all my little people and buildings and pictures of the town soon. I’ll do a few things each week and kind of spread the posting of my stuff out.

Good plan! I’ll look forward to seeing more!

I’ll take a few pictures of things today. Maybe I’ll work on some of the rigging too...

Cheers

Richie Dulin