 Pirates / 3299
  Misérable

It is finished! After many late nights I have put the final external touches on my 28 Gun Frigate, Misérable. Misérable is a worthy successor to my Light Frigate, Eponine II, but has moved the shipbuilding efforts of Port Brique to a higher level. (...) (21 years ago, 18-Apr-03, to lugnet.pirates, lugnet.announce.moc, lugnet.boats, lugnet.loc.au) !!

  Re: Misérable

(...) A very nice ship you have there. Those custom sails are fantastic. How historically accurate is having the wheel mid-deck like that? Good work, Jason +---...---+ Jason Spears MichLUG - (URL) MOCpage - (URL) (21 years ago, 18-Apr-03, to lugnet.pirates)

  Re: Misérable

(...) Wowzers! Beautiful work! Any pics going to be taken belowdecks? Too stunned for words... Joe Meno (21 years ago, 18-Apr-03, to lugnet.pirates)

  Re: Misérable

Good lord. Warning to all British ships: stay out of the South Pacific unless well protected... : ) Excellent work, really. A standard set for us all, I should think. Her lines very much remind me of a French frigate -- very smooth indeed. (...) (21 years ago, 18-Apr-03, to lugnet.pirates)

  Re: Misérable

(...) THAT IS ONE FREAKIN BIG SHIP!!! I have a new project now........hehehe. On a serious note, thats a great ship. How many ship bases did it take to make it? Im really against taking apart my SES or BSB to make one, but if a RBR hull would look (...) (21 years ago, 18-Apr-03, to lugnet.pirates)

  Re: Misérable

One of the better representations of a small frigate that I have seen. The sails have been exceptionally well-done - the proportions of squeezing in five set with the royals and sky-sails is most impressive. Another touch I like is the boat mounted (...) (21 years ago, 18-Apr-03, to lugnet.pirates)

  Re: Misérable

Wow! Dude! DuuUUuddDDdEEee! That is one impressive ship. If you take the smaller guns into account, that's 40 guns! I love the details, such as the stacked and hanging boats. She really is a beauty. I only have one gripe: the very back. Where's the (...) (21 years ago, 18-Apr-03, to lugnet.pirates)

  Re: Misérable

(...) Thanks! The sails are a lot of work, but I am very pleased with the results. (...) It is distinctively frigate-like. It protects the helm (with the mizzen at his back), and also brings the helm - along with the captain, presumably - closer to (...) (21 years ago, 19-Apr-03, to lugnet.pirates)

  Re: Misérable

(...) Thanks! And yes, below decks pics will be forthcoming. I just need an appropriately sunny day and some time. (...) Cheers Richie Dulin (21 years ago, 19-Apr-03, to lugnet.pirates)

  Re: Misérable

(...) Yes. The British Ambassador has been given a personal tour, and I think he'll be recommending that the soon to arrive British sloop-of-war is doing nothing but diplomacy... (...) Thank you. Fourteen cannon lined up side by side on the gun deck (...) (21 years ago, 19-Apr-03, to lugnet.pirates)

  Re: Misérable

(...) One bow, one stern, six centre sections and 90 inverse 2x2 slopes (and 12 1x3 inverse slopes to anchor the stays!). (...) Two RBR's is an excellent base for a ship (my Eponine II was built on such a base) and you have a few useful parts left (...) (21 years ago, 19-Apr-03, to lugnet.pirates)

  Re: Misérable

(...) It makes the stock Black Seas Barracuda look a bit underpowered... (...) Indeed. I owe my direct inspiration to the HMS Agamemnon out of Port Block, though. (And I still remain uncomfortable not be able to accomodate the entire crew in the (...) (21 years ago, 19-Apr-03, to lugnet.pirates)

  Re: Misérable

(...) But one doesn't count those smaller guns ;-) (...) Well spotted! There are some nine pounders that can be run out in the captain's cabin, but some poop deck stern chasers would be nice as well. The view from the poop deck (let alone the (...) (21 years ago, 19-Apr-03, to lugnet.pirates)

  Re: Misérable

(...) This is why their Lordships granted 'Friendly' 18-pounder Carronades. Not that I plan on testing the theory... : ) (...) Working on it! Wait, did you say British sloop? : ) Kenneth Tam Brickley's Cove (URL) (21 years ago, 19-Apr-03, to lugnet.pirates)

  Re: Misérable

(...) ;-) One has to have *something* to intimidate, after all. (Yes, a three masted, twelve gunned, sloop of war (three centre sections) - a 'pocket frigate' perhaps. And without a Hornblower clone to be seen!) Cheers Richie (21 years ago, 20-Apr-03, to lugnet.pirates)

  Re: Misérable

(...) Which is a nice idea, but it appears to be most un-French. If the Misérable were a British vessel, where the captain dined on stodgy salt pork and pease the smell of gunpowder could only improve the meal, but on a French Vessel, gunpowder in (...) (21 years ago, 20-Apr-03, to lugnet.pirates)

  Re: Misérable

(...) (Just did a quick scan of the house...) Certainly the Endeavour (albeit a barque) in the mide-late 18th century and the Supply (albeit a brig) in the late 18th/early 19th century had and used spritsails as well as jibs... I've seen a print of (...) (21 years ago, 20-Apr-03, to lugnet.pirates)

  Re: Misérable

(...) Just so. Sneaking is a business for the night, I find, and thus is best left to port, where you have firm locations on targets. Guns hardly play a part then (unless you face a particularly diligent crew). I wouldn't care to try to run down a (...) (21 years ago, 20-Apr-03, to lugnet.pirates)

  Re: Misérable

Richie, WOW, That is one awesome vessel! I really liked the masts and the sails, very detailed. This is really impressive, how much does it weigh? Congratulations on an awesome accomplishment. Jon (21 years ago, 22-Apr-03, to lugnet.pirates)

  Re: Misérable

(...) Thanks! (...) The fore and mainmasts are quite fragile... the main is based on a 2x2x11 (IIRC) round brick, the fore on several 2x2's. That, combined with the high-mounted ratlines prevents them being too strong. The fore-and-aft rigging helps (...) (21 years ago, 23-Apr-03, to lugnet.pirates)