 Pirates / 3312
Re: Misérable
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates
Date:
Sat, 19 Apr 2003 05:46:21 GMT

In lugnet.pirates, Bruce Schlickbernd writes:
One of the better representations of a small frigate that I have seen.  The
sails have been exceptionally well-done - the proportions of squeezing in
five set with the royals and sky-sails is most impressive.

It makes the stock Black Seas Barracuda look a bit underpowered...

Another touch I like is the boat mounted inside the cutter to save
space, as was typical in reality.

Indeed. I owe my direct inspiration to the HMS Agamemnon out of Port Block,
though. (And I still remain uncomfortable not be able to accomodate the
entire crew in the ship's boats, but that was typical of the time, I guess.)

Jibs in general replaced sprit-sails - any reason for including
both?  Just for fun, or is there a time-frame where both were used?

Well, it did get the sail count to a nice round *twenty*! The spritsail was
generally replaced by the jib, but it seems many late 18th - early 19th
century tall ships retained the rigs and the sails... they just weren't used
very often. (And almost certainly never simultaneously with three jibs!).

When running before a light breeze, though, every square inch of sail would
count...

Cheers

Richie Dulin