 Pirates / 3095
Re: Highlanders!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates, lugnet.loc.au, lugnet.build.minifigs
Date:
Sun, 12 Jan 2003 16:58:49 GMT

Taking a break from the Grande Armie of the South Pacific, I came up with
some highlanders as guards for the Brikkish Embassy in Port Brique.

Ach!

The kilts are a bit too short, but using 1x1 bricks (rather than 2 2x1
plates made the kilts too long, or the figs too tall, depending on how much
leg they showed).

Well, they're Scots in a climate much warmer than they're used to, I
suppose. Need to keep cool... And nicely done! I've been wrestling with
paper-add-on kilts of one sort or another for the past two months -- a brick
solution never occured to me! Chalk up another great inovation for the
master of Port Brique.

(British grumble)

The torsos are printed on a good quality printer and glued on, and impress
me for quality and speed over the hand drawn alternative, and for cost over
purchasing real guard/soldier torsos.

That's pretty much the system I've been using during my rapid expansion of
infantry, though for flexibility's sake I've been using ink jet labels --
self adhesive and not permanent. The color match isn't quite as good, but I
can restore my chaps to their original form, or more likely, change them
into some other sort of soldiers if need be.

Hats are two-tyre busbies (what else?). If anyone has ideas about bagpipes
for minifigs, I'd be most interested.

Hmm... one of those 1x1x1's with studs on 5 sides (I'm particularly
part-name illiterate, forgive me) with the old space control levers? Hmm...
have to work on that one...

Of course, with this new found (to me) technology, I couldn't resist adding
a few more to the Grande Armie, and running short on most soldierly supplies
now, I built up a few engineers...

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/rdulin/PortBrique/engineers5.jpg

(Further grumbling from Horse Guards)

Brilliant stuff -- again!