 Pirates / 2776
Re: The NEXT Pirates Legend
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates
Date:
Sat, 13 Jul 2002 18:22:16 GMT

To help with the Pirate line, I would prefer to see a re-release of the
Pirate mini-figs sets such as : 6204, 6251, 6252, 6257, and/or even 6265,
6266, and 6267.

Hugh

In lugnet.pirates, Bruce Schlickbernd writes:
Black Sea Barracuda will return as the first Pirates Legend, probably helped
in part that new Pirates sets have been absent for several years.  It's
quite possible that all the other nominees will see production as a Legend
before we see another Pirate set considered again.

All we have for a long time is speculation, so let the speculation begin!  :-)

Now, I can go through Castle and pick out all sorts of medium and small sets
that I would like to see as Legends (or at least go back into production as
Classics before others).  Castle needs more than just a castle.  You need a
village, carts and wagons, even ships.  Logically, you can use all the same
in Pirates, but Pirates never really did that.  Is there a horse in *any*
Pirates set?  Howver, one can always just draft the castle stuff into
service.  For Pirates, then, the most obvious and most popular sets are the
big ones: BSB, Sculls Eye Schooner (SES), ElDorado Fortress (Fortress), and
Imperial Trading Post (Post).

Okay, we can X out BSB: done deal.  Will SES become a Legend?  Certainly it
deserves it, but with BSB already providing a Pirate ship, I doubt it will
be any time soon.  A better choice then would be one of the bases, with the
realization that the winner hurts the chances of the loser for the future,
deserving though it may be.  The Fortress is closer to the Castle line in
concept, with barely a nod at a wharf.  I'd argue the Post over the
Fortress.  It is more uniquely Pirates.  It provides a unique and desireable
small ship, and a clear connection between the ships and the land.  It isn't
just a slightly modified Castle with Pirate minifigs.

Bruce