 People / Support / 18
Re: It can never end can it
Newsgroups:
lugnet.people.support
Date:
Thu, 17 Feb 2005 00:51:45 GMT

In lugnet.people.support, Mike Crowley wrote:
   Hi, Jamie.

My name’s Mike. I’m the guy who made the first post in LUGNET/People/Support. I know what it feels like to have life come crashing down on top of you. I know what it’s like to have things suddenly turn dark, for all the fun and joy to get yanked out from under your feet. I’m not sure how many people around here know this, but I’m a cancer survivor. For me, my enemy was invisible. Yeah, it showed up on scans and stuff, but it’s not like it was an actual person I could get mad at. It wasn’t some jerk that I could walk up to and say, “hey, cut it out. Why are you doing this to me?” That made it even more frustrating – not to be able to put a face to my torment. But, let me tell you something: directing our anger toward others, or even ourselves, during times of darkness and pain accomplishes nothing. All it does is add to the pain. Instead of acting as a release, it only breeds more sadness and pull us down even further.

You seem to be caught in a very rough place, and my advice is that you take a moment to sit back, reflect, and attempt to focus on something that makes you happy. Not something that just takes away your pain, but something that makes you happy. You see, there’s a difference. Pain is a funny thing. After a while, when you’ve been in pain for such a long time, it wears you down. You start believing that whatever can take away your pain is a step in the right direction. But, that’s not always true. Yeah, pain sucks. Throughout my twenties (I’m 28 now), I was poked with needles, hooked up to IV’s, pumped full of chemicals, blasted with radiation, subjected to the horrible side effects of medications, operated on many, many times, and almost died on several occasions. I’ve spent months inside isolated, germ-free rooms, away from people, awake all night with insomnia and in pain, in the dark, with only my own confused and battered consciousness to keep me company. I’ve been asked to give everything I can give, and then, I was asked to give even more. I’ve been to hell and back. But, trust me, you can come back. And, you can be happy again.

The trick: you need to accept your pain. You don’t have to learn to live with it, you just have to accept that it’s yours to deal with. I’m not saying that you shouldn’t fight your pain, because you definitely should. You should fight your pain with all your heart and soul. You need to fight, because giving up or giving in means you’re weak. And, you’re not weak. You seem damn tough to me. You’ve been dealt a load of crap in your life, and you don’t deserve it. No one deserves it. But, trust me, you’re lucky. You’ve got a great opportunity here. You’ve got a chance to become a person much greater than you could have ever imagined. If you pull yourself through this mess, life will be different forever, I guarantee it. You’ll be one of us: one of the few for whom life instantly becomes a piece of cake. From then on, no matter what gets tossed into your path, it’s nothing you won’t be able handle. You’ll be a king. Don’t give up now. Push through and succeed. You deserve to beat this. You deserve to get better. You deserve to feel happy.

You’re pain is not your enemy. The people in your life who’ve wronged you are not your enemy. You are not your enemy. The only enemy is that little voice that’s telling you to quit. Reject that voice. See your doctor. Medicine works. Ignore the people who seek to bring more hardship into your world. They don’t realize just how much their actions affect you. Try as hard as you can to focus on the awesome life you could have once you pull though this mess. You can be happy. You deserve to be happy. Forget those jerks that are giving you a hard time. They don’t know what it’s like to be where you are right now. A few years from now, when you’re walking tall and on top of the world, you won’t even remember them. They’re insignificant. The only thing important right now is that you get better. And, getting better means that you have to direct all your attention toward solving your problems, not just getting rid of them. To solve your problems, you have to face them. It’s hard, I know. But, once you’ve faced them, you’ll own them, and from then on you can deal with them, and overcome them. Do it, Jaime. Get better. I want you to get better.

-Mike “Count Blockula” Crowley

Hi all who read this and also to Jamie...

First of all, I don’t want Jamie (or others) to take this the wrong way, because my intention is not to hurt but to help.

I am friends with Jamie and I occassionaly chat to him, unfortunately most of our talks are not about the wonderful things in life, but rather the opposite. From information which I cannot share with any of you from what I have been told if it is all correct and accurate... Jamie has been through a pretty hard time, not just recently but over a long period of time. The details I know of (and I don’t know about everything) are pretty heart wrenching (Jamie forgive me for what I have already said, I just want people to understand you a little bit better). I probably live the closest to Jamie than most of you and I have met him personally once, several years ago (back before most of this put him in his current situation).

From what I know of Jamie, he is a rather smart and intelligent young man, who would have had a lot going for him, if he was on the right track. But sadly events have cause this to go the opposite for him. I wish I could help Jamie and I believe that deep down inside him, he wants help of some kind, maybe not of the typical professional kind, but a kind he can relate to. There are certain areas in his life I would prefer to see him stay away from as some of these only bring him down further, I say this as a friend and I can’t tell him what to do, but I wish a part of him would listen. Jamie doesn’t want to be here much longer, which I find extremely sad, but I still think that there is a part of him that is still keeping his flame alight, he has been going through this for a very long time and something must be keeping him afloat.

I’m afraid with the chats we have had that I don’t know or realise how much he really is in, I want to call him, but he won’t let me go that far, he doesn’t want to hear anyone and he doesn’t want to talk... it’s confusing and upsetting... he thinks he has screwed me over, but I am just trying to be there for him and help him however I can. It’s frustrating talking to someone who is in his situation because the whole conversation is more than just the darkside... the conversation I am having with him right now as I type this is frightening... I don’t know what he is doing or what is going on with him, there is more to his pain thatn he wants us to know... there has to be... how can someone keep something like this going for so long? Jamie, I know you will probably read this and I just want you to know that I just want the best for you and not the way out that you talk about, that is not the answer and your life right now might be the bottom of the pit, but you don’t have to take that route, there are others and much better places to go to than there, please, listen to what your friends here have to tell you, they all take the time and effort to tell you these things because they care or have been in a situation themselves, maybe not as bad as yours, but they feel they can relate to some of your pain atleast. Of course no-one will understand you fully as you are you and only you. But we are trying to be here and there for you, even with the distance... we are there, please get it together and just accept the help that has been offered to you, and even take up the offer I gave you. I don’t want to see you doing this to yourself and those who obviously care about you... there is another way!!!

Sadly, I am currently at work so I can’t write much else... paperwork calls... but I hope you are listening Jamie... :~(

Please... take care...

Your friend,

Mel :~(