 People / 3086
Re: Builders' Status
Newsgroups:
lugnet.people, lugnet.space
Date:
Fri, 29 Mar 2002 02:29:56 GMT

"Jon Palmer" <jpalmer@oklahoma.net> wrote in message
news:GtKLtE.90@lugnet.com...

-Paul Baulch  (its your duty to post new big ships to .space :-)

Wow! I'm very flattered, considering how few pictures (and few MOCs, really)
I've posted to LUGNET. I've also tended to spend less time reading LUGNET in
the last year or so. More worryingly, I've been devoting less time to
building with Lego...  :-(

So why don't I post enough pictures? Well, there are a variety of reasons:
1. I'm a bit of a perfectionist when it comes to pictures, I'll take several
and throw all but a couple away. I really want to get the best out of my
digital camera that I can, but I really need some other equipment to do
that, and I can't afford it... yet.
2. A couple of years ago, I had an idea to present my MOCs as a
storybook/comic (an idea that many have had independently, of course). The
downside of this is that generally to do an interesting story it's very
useful to have a decent number of ships and props and at least a couple of
sets. This takes a very long time and frankly, all the ships I want for my
story are nowhere near completed, but I still feel that I want to refrain
from presenting MOCs until the whole storybook is ready.
3. I'm a computer programmer, and have more recently found hobby programming
to be a distraction from Lego that takes a lot of my spare time.
4. I spent a lot of time sorting for a few months, as I let a huge backlog
of unsorted Lego accumulate.

Anyway, I've still done a fair bit with Lego for the last twelve months...
mostly rebuilding or modifying existing ships as I get new ideas about them,
and also building props and a couple of sets. I've been building microfig
versions of the larger ships, that was an idea I had about presenting
different frames of the story at different scales.
I'll consider modifying my story a bit so that the early part of it uses
what I've already built. I'll also try to get some pictures done of the
smaller ships I've made - I know they're not as exciting as larger ships,
but it'll have to do for now...  :-)

--
Cheers,
Paul