 People / 3090
Re: Builders' Status
Newsgroups:
lugnet.people, lugnet.space
Date:
Sat, 30 Mar 2002 08:12:12 GMT

In lugnet.people, Jon Palmer writes:
Thought I might start a new thread here.
How are the following people doing?  What have you guys been working on
lately?

In no particular order:

-Lindsay Frederick Braun  (any space stuff from you in the future?)

   I've been busy teaching a double load, trying to get my administrative
   hurdles leapt, and getting ready for South Africa if the Fulbright comes
   through (yay me, I made it through the penultimate cut--wish me luck).
   So all I've really had time to do is sort out my backlog of sets; I
   spent a whole weekend last month sorting my _Friedrich der Grosse_
   back into my bins, photos of which will be coming soon in an image
   essay to be entitled "despair and delight, or joy and pain."  The sight
   of a half-disassembled creation is really mitigated by the pleasure of
   a 16-gallon bin filled with large light grey, tan, and dark grey plates.
   It's very therapeutic.  :D

   I also have a big tub filled with a dozen or so sections of my latest
   ship (which I have been talking about a bit with our new .spacehead,
   Gil):  a NearEarthFuture survey ship named HMS Experiment.  The basic
   pages are taking shape slowly, but the ship hasn't been completed and is
   currently undergoing a significant redesign because of great new parts
   I have acquired since construction begain in November.  (I've talked
   about this project a bit in .space and, well, it hasn't gone much of
   anywhere since.)  The foundation was in my TAU probe; but I have re-
   designed the drive section that will go on the completed vessel.

   Another project that's in the works is a rebuild of _Suffren_, but
   that's still a ways off.  Unfortunately, the pressure of BrickFest
   has again pushed a monstrous piece of archaic technology (WWII ship)
   to the forefront of the construction queue.  So I may not get anything
   substantial done until the end of May.  Utter and complete sadness,
   thy name is deadline!

   On the other hand, I'm living vicariously through the great builders
   here--it keeps me thinking and doodling and dreaming, even when I'm
   buried under a workslide.  Someone send the jaws of life, please.

   best

   LFB