 People / 21
20  |  22
Subject:
Divers (was: Lugnet Roll-call)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.people, lugnet.town
Date:
Thu, 23 Sep 1999 17:01:26 GMT

On Wed, 22 Sep 1999 20:52:52 GMT, Ray Sanders <rsanders@gate.net> wrote:

Dunno. Divers just seems to be a well thought out and implemented
series.

Really?  I love Divers, but I was disappointed by the set designs.  Not
that the models were bad, they were very good.  There was too much
repetition between the sets.  Too many nearly-identical submersibles.  Too
many SPUD[1] rafts.

Almost every set was a Boat/Sub/Seafloor.  Which is nice, if you're only
going to buy one set, because you get a complete playset in one shot.  But
for the rest of us, it just dilutes the theme.

I would have prefered designs which focused on one thing, and didn't try to
be a complete playset.  So one set would be a really cool boat, another
would be a great sub, and there would be a really nice seafloor set as
well.

And oddly enough, I only like the true 'Divers' sets, not the
various '*nauts'. Probably doesn't hurt that I live near various fresh
and salt water dive spots :)  The one set I can't make up my mind about
is 1782 (Discovery Station). I know of 4-5 copies at various TRUs, but
have not found the urge to buy that one.

I feel 1782, 6560 (Diving Expedition Explorer) and 6441 (Deep Reef Refuge)
are the best of the Divers sets.

I like 1782 because it is a neat set, and because it is *different* from
the other Divers sets.  The sub is white, it has a *somewhat* different
design than the other subs in the theme, the research platform is unique
and cool, in lego's selective-compression manner.

Steve
1-Special Purpose, Useless, Decorative