 Parts / Modification / 337
336  |  338
Subject:
Uses for mirrored LEGO (Was: Which glue?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.parts.mod
Date:
Sun, 24 Feb 2008 12:44:57 GMT

In lugnet.parts.mod, Chris Magno wrote:

My guess is either a wiggle light(1), or a solar tracker to
heat "something."

Hmm, I like both of those, but my idea is/was closer to the first. Not to cast a
light, but to reflect an image: have a camera rigidly mounted (so the heavy
stuff doesn't need to move), with a rotating mirror at 45° in front of it on a
turntable (turntable facing the camera lens, not perpendicular to it). Depending
on how that mirror rotates you could look in various directions, sort of like a
lighthouse with a rotating mirror set above the lamp.

The good news is I got the ABS glued to the mirror backing using the Stik 'N
Seal Ultra LocTite (& only cut my fingers once). The bad news is a 4" mirror
(the smallest that seems to reflect the whole image) ends up being pretty heavy
itself. Easier/lighter to rotate, but the support system needs to be more than I
originally planned. I'm not sure if I have to try a different technique or not,
but the idea might still work for a smaller camera.

Hey, it's winter down here and you folks north of the border keep sending down
cold fronts - what do you expect me to do, I'm going crazy down here and
seriously thinking about LEGO icebreakers/icecrawlers.

--
Brian Davis