 Parts / Modification / 305
Re: Which glue?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.parts.mod
Date:
Fri, 9 Feb 2007 23:02:21 GMT

In lugnet.parts.mod, John Neal wrote:
   In lugnet.parts.mod, Rob Hendrix wrote:

   Has Super Glue been used very successfully keeping ABS parts bonded over time?

AFAIK. Have you heard otherwise? I thought Super Glue was in the same type glue family as MEK.

JOHN

No they are quite different.
MEK is not even a glue or epoxy at all. It is rather a solvent that literally loosens the plastic molecules of the ABS, and allows them to intertwine between bricks. Once it evaporates, the ABS returns to a state almost the same as it’s original. MEK’d ABS is slightly more brittle than the original casting.

I strongly recommend only professionals with adequate ventilation and handling equipment use MEK with any regularity. It has some significant health concerns, and is being phased out of use by the LEGO company. It has been restricted from use in the European model shops for at least the past 5 years.

Most superglues I have used are CA or Cyanoacrylate based.
   Per Wikipedia:
Generally, cyanoacrylate is an acrylic resin which rapidly polymerises in > the presence of water (specifically hydroxide ions), forming long, strong > chains, joining the bonded surfaces together. Because the presence of > moisture causes the glue to set, exposure to moisture in the air can cause a > tube or bottle of glue to become unusable over time. To prevent an opened > container of glue from setting before use, it must be stored in an airtight > jar or bottle with a package of silica gel.

Except for very large, weight-bearing models, I would recommend people use SuperGlue over MEK. No need to expose yourself to the stuff unless it’s really necessary for it to be VERY durable.

Aaron Sneary Former Master Model Builder