 Parts / 194
Re: Brick versions over the years
Newsgroups:
lugnet.parts
Date:
Sun, 28 Aug 2005 22:58:05 GMT

In lugnet.parts, David Eaton wrote:
In lugnet.parts, Stefan Gustavson wrote:
In lugnet.parts, Stefan Gustavson wrote:
Has anyone made a summary of when the type of bricks
changed over the years? I recently got hold of a large
unsorted but very nice auction lot from the late 70s to
early 80's, around the time when the mould design changed
quite rapidly and often dramatically for many bricks. Is
there a good reference for brick types over the years that
I can turn to? There are some real gems in this lot, and I
want to try to sort out the correct original bricks for them.

Some parts are tracked in the Peeron database as to when they changed, like the
"Plate 1 x 1 with Clip Vertical" (4085a, 4085b, 4085c), which had 3 versions
(Type 1: 1979-1987, Type 2: 1987-1992, Type 3: 1993-present). Other types of
changes, like the 2x4 brick or minifig torso aren't noted in Peeron's
inventories. A handy-dandy chart of that information would be good, but I don't
think it's available to date.

Some things i know have changed:
- 1 x 1 plate with clip vertical (different clip widths)
- 24 cog gearwheel (loss of axle holes)
- minifig head (solid stud)
- 1 x 1 round brick (solid stud, plus lower ridge addition)
- minifig torso (different inside)
- flexible hose (addition of thin ridges)
- 1 x 1 plate with clip light (different light width)
- 4 x 3 wedge plate (addition of stud holes)
- 8 x 8 wing w/ 4 x 4 cutout (modification to cutout shape)
- Minifig motorcycle helmet (thicker chin strap, more streamlined)
- 2 long axle (addition of notches)
- Technic peg w/ friction (different friction, addition of holes)
- 2 x 2 x 2 slope (addition of tube)
- Any "standard" brick or plate (waffle bottom & tube additions, plus other
interior changes)
- Broadsword (change in plastic)
- Black falcon printed torso & flag (re-release had different logo)
- 1x1, 1x2, 1x2 grill, 2x2 tiles (addition of groove)
- 32 x 32 grey landing plate (different printing)
- City road plates (different sidewalk widths)
- Pneumatic piston (could just call that a totally new piece)
- Mindstorms brick (loss of AC port)
- Treasure chest (addition of cutaway ridges)
- Lots of slopes (changes to texture of the slope, now sometimes smooth)
- 2 x 2 Arm holder brick (removal of top socket)

Dang, I could probably keep going. I know there's things like rounded baseplate
corners, changes to cog thicknesses, and probably tons more.

OK, no reply in 3 days, and my message is still the most
recent post. I guess this group is dead. >Sigh<

It's not a commonly hit group, true. But like was said already, it's not a
question that's easy to answer, I don't think. To my knowledge, there isn't a
resource out there for this data, probably due in part to the fact that this
isn't well-defined information. Does the change to click hinges count, for
example? Or the color change? Or changes like the new technic turntable? Etc.

Lugnet.general might not be a bad place to post this, either, just for wider
visibility...

DaveE

Dave,

Part of the problem is that there are no easy answers.  The overlap in different
mold variations for elements is so mixed up, to almost render any year/type
mold/part statistics meaningless.

Here are a few examples:

1) Waffle bottom plates were produced for sets from 1955-72.  The circle bottom
plates that "replaced" them were produced in sets from 1962-present.  A 10 year
overlap.

2) The first ABS parts were seen in sets in 1962.  The last Cellulose Acetate
parts were seen in sets in 1972.  Another 10 year overlap.

3) When design changes to part molds happened, the old molds in that part were
still used until the old molds were worn out.  Ditto (as we can see today with
old gray parts still in new sets) for old colors or old plastics.  The "OLD" was
not discarded.  They were used until they were gone or no longer useful.

Gary Istok