 Parts / 189
Re: Brick versions over the years
Newsgroups:
lugnet.parts
Date:
Tue, 23 Aug 2005 04:33:03 GMT

In lugnet.parts, Rob Hendrix wrote:
The group is far from dead.  Maybe no one has an answer, wants to answer, or
hasn't read the post yet.  The only person that I could think of offhand to
answer your question since I can't answer (and probably not alot of people
can answer that question) is Gary Istok.

Hope you get your question answered.
Rob
www.brickmodder.net

"Stefan Gustavson" <stegu@itn.liu.se> wrote in message
In lugnet.parts, Stefan Gustavson wrote:
Has anyone made a summary of when the type of bricks
changed over the years? I recently got hold of a large
unsorted but very nice auction lot from the late 70s to
early 80's, around the time when the mould design changed
quite rapidly and often dramatically for many bricks. Is
there a good reference for brick types over the years that
I can turn to? There are some real gems in this lot, and I
want to try to sort out the correct original bricks for them.

  Stefan G (#2407)

OK, no reply in 3 days, and my message is still the most
recent post. I guess this group is dead. >Sigh<

Stefan G

Hey, sorry I usually don't hang around these here "parts".  :-)

Well you guys ask (and answered) some really tough questions....

In my (still!) upcoming Lego CD I will be discussing Lego parts mainly from
1949-80, although for some items I go later to circa 1992.  And oh are there a
lot of different variations.

Take the 2x4 brick for example.... there are 4 versions of the slotted 2x4
bricks from 1949-56.  There is the no tubes modern 2x4 from 1956-58.  Then there
is the 1958-62 old font brick in Cellulose Acetate (like all that came before).
Then there is the 1962-present bricks with the modern Lego font and made out of
ABS plastic.  But even these 1962-present bricks have a few variations.  There
is the location of the "umbilical cord" on the brick, which was at the base of
the 2x4 brick from 1962-70.  From circa 1970 to 1985 they were in the middle of
the short side of the brick.  And circa 1985 to present, they are on the top of
one of the 8 studs.

And then there are the versions that had the PAT PEND underneath, version that
have all 3 tubes underneath "cut" in half, and versions with the ridges on the
inner wall of the bottom of the bricks.

There are so many variations on just the 2x4 brick.  So trying to come up with a
total list starts to be unmanageable.

But I am nearly done with a summary, starting with the oldest parts, and working
forward.  So the following are some of the ones I will be including in the CD...
Bricks, 1x1, 1x1 round, 1x1 round minifig, 1x2, 2x2, 2x3, 2x4, 2x6, 2x8, 2x10,
2x12, 2x14.

And then there all the windows and doors starting with 1949.

And plates, and tiles, and all old specialty parts, sloped bricks, baseplates,
and road plates (Town Plan and later).  And a lot of other parts.....

I already finished a section on what parts were sold where.... meaning what was
USA/Canada only.  What was continental European only, What was Britain/Australia
only.

I also added a section to help identify garage sale/flea market Lego finds.
Giving tips/clues as to what decade the box-less parts were from, so you can
decide on whether to buy it or not.

I also added info on identifying rare parts and common parts in rare colors,
although I won't go too deeply into this because much of this is already
available in Brickshelf and Peeron.

Although the Lego CD will be mainly covering 1949-80, most of the newer info is
already available.

Gary Istok

P.S. The finished 1949-80 CD will be at least 700 pages!