 Parts / 193
Re: Brick versions over the years
Newsgroups:
lugnet.parts
Date:
Sun, 28 Aug 2005 19:58:11 GMT

In lugnet.parts, Gerhard R. Istok wrote:

Take the 2x4 brick for example....
there is the 1958-62 old font brick in Cellulose Acetate,
then there is the 1962-present bricks with the modern Lego font
and made out of ABS plastic.

I even have quite a few transitional ABS bricks with the
old font, or at least a different type of stud decoration.

But even these 1962-present bricks have a few variations.

These are the years I was ignorantly calling "vintage". Sorry
if I gave you the impression that I was talking about 1950s-60s
bricks, I was referring to ABS bricks only. All my CA bricks
are warped and won't stick together, even though some are not
playworn at all. I won't throw them away, but they are useless.

There is the location of the "umbilical cord" on the brick,
which was at the base of the 2x4 brick from 1962-70.
From circa 1970 to 1985 they were in the middle of
the short side of the brick.  And circa 1985 to present,
they are on the top of one of the 8 studs.

These time frames seem a few years off to me. I have bricks I know
to be from 1967 that have the pip on the middle of the short side,
and bricks from very early 1980s (definitely 1980 or 1981) that
have the pip on a stud. Were bricks in the US and Europe made
from different molds?

There are so many variations on just the 2x4 brick.

I was not really asking for an exhaustive list, more like a
general hint regarding when some relatively major changes
happened. Your CD will definitely be interesting to me!

Although the Lego CD will be mainly covering 1949-80, most of the
newer info is already available.

Available where? Peeron is quite often wrong and lacking in detail.
The excellent BrickLink database which is under construction is at
the same overview level, and understandably that too will be slightly
wrong due to its volunteer origin. Right now BL doesn't even keep
proper track on the solid vs. hollow stud versions of minifig heads.

Sorry to bombard you with questions here, but we seem to have
an interest in common. Feel free to ignore me if you want to.

  Stefan