Subject:
Answers!!! (and maybe more questions) was Re: East Coast Brikfest!!!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.wamalug, lugnet.announce
Date:
Mon, 15 May 2000 15:21:41 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

"Christopher Weeks" <clweeks@eclipse.net> wrote:

In lugnet.announce, Stephen F. Roberts writes:
...Just 1 month to go!!! Don't forget the East Coast BrikFest! June 9-11 • Washington DC!
Subscribe to lugnet.org.us.wamalug for more information as it becomes
available!

Ummmmmm, shouldn't there be some more final information available right now?
With less than a month to go, I'd be nervous.

...:-) our organization is a touch lacking. But have no fear, this will be fun even if we
do muddle through a bit semi-unorganized, I've worked with worse and doing it this way is
a bit bumpy, but it will be fun :-) But on the good side, we do have some things hammered
out!

...Its going to be at the GMU Law School building in Fairfax, Va. We've conned a local
Comfort Inn that's very close to the building into giving us a good deal on rooms (like
$80 for 2 queen size beds, will post the number today). Buffie has permission to have a
special shopping time for us Sunday morning.

...To register, email some info to info@wamalug.org:

***CUT HERE***
name:
email:
phone #:
location:
how many in your group (and their names would be good):
favourite themes:
Events u want to see and or will do:
    (for an initial list of things we are planning see http://wamalug.org and farther down
     this message)

For lodging, mention if you will have spare space in your room or if you are looking for a
place to stay. Hopefully we will be able to link people up before they show up.

Are you bringing along a NFOL? If we get enough NFOLs, we can link them up so they can all
enjoy the many things the DC area has to offer (usually easier to do as a group than
alone). We are NFOL friendly!! :-)

***CUT HERE***

...We arent sure if we are going to charge a registration fee or just do a collection or
what. If we do charge, it will be in the $5-$10 range and would go towards prizes for
contests and for food delivery.

There is no info on what's
needed to register.  Is there registration as such?  Is there a schedule?  What
time does it start?

...We get access to the building early friday morning and will be setting up then.
Everyone's free to start showing up after we get the key! :-) We expect most ppl to be
trickling in friday evening with Saturday and Sunday being the main days of the fest.

...We will be printing up a flier for any real scheduled events. Most of the things we are
planning are oriented around building and the like, so the biggest things like the town
and castle displays will be freeform and ongoing.

...We are interested in what people want to do or what they want to run themselves tho
most of the events will just be freeform. So far, we have the following things planned:

mindstorms stuff:
  displays, programming tricks, maybe a contest or two. We will have a computer on site
with mindstorms 1.5 and NQC on it to program the blocks. We are looking for anyone who has
tinkered with the 2.0 code and can tell us about it. And if you have a spiffy little
program or bot, bring a printout of the code so we can see it :-)

town stuff:
  A big ol town/trian display. Pretty much whatever track and town stuff we can lay our
hands on. It will be a dynamic 'living art' like display with us adding track and bridges
and whatever else we can. This will be going on pretty much full time during the fest.
  Also, we are going to have a workshop on adding DCC to LEGO, automating switches,
sculpting and modeling trains, maybe a module and table construction discussion.
  Most of the display will likely be on the floor (since we don't have that many tables),
but if some of the clubs want to plan for their own display with or without tables, we
will gladly welcome it!

castle stuff:
  Again, a ';living art' approach. Whatever castle or pirate things we can get, we want to
add it to a giant display.
  We will be having a castle modeling workshop, and hopefully some discussions of real
castle architecture. Prolly a few building contests and the like. We would like to do a
discussion/workshop of castleworld too, and would welcome any other people interested in
doing castle things.

technic stuff:
  building contests, displays, workshops and other technic things.

general play:
  There will be a big room of just play and/or everything else we didn't think of. When in
doubt, this room will likely have lots of things going on in it. Possible things in here:
star wars MOCs, heck, for that matter, any old MOC, general building, prolly a few games,
collections and other like things. Prolly a few building contests.
  We are going to be also doing a workshop or two on brick and minifig customization,
modification, and mutilation.
  Also on the general stuff. We will be doing regular excursions to local shopping places
including The Store. We will have maps (or at least paper to sketch out on! :-) And if you
bring along a NFOL, I'm sure we will be able to find out things for them to do too (this
is the DC area, after all).

wargaming:
  We are planning a big BrikWars game or two, and prolly a few other games all around the
place. We are wanting to do at least a modern/sci-fi war, but if there is enough interest,
we will also do a castle/fantasy war too!

Is there going to be a BrikFest T-shirt available?

...:-( If we do shirts, they wouldn't be ready in time. so no shirts this time. But look
for them next year! :-) (plus, having had a try the first time, we will be much better
organized next time! :-)

Does
the event have possession of the room(s) around the clock, or do we have to go
home?

...the bad news is the building is only opened 7am - 11pm. They have full time security
and the rooms will be locked. We are trying to find out if we can get limited access to
the building in off hours to do checks. Most of the stuff should be very safe in the
building, so we wont need to take anything much down. But we will need to relocate for at
least 8 hours :-(

Are there showers available on the campus?  Does anyone need a ride from
New Jersey?  What's the expected attendance?  (You should throw up a web page
with a list of those who're going to be there.)

...Well, no exact numbers yet, but at the moment, I'd guess at least 40+, just from the
people who have publicly talked about it. (no telling how many others are showing up who
we haven't heard from).

...We have a very informal page on our wamalug.org page, and are trying to get an 'offical
east coast brikfest page' up _very_ soon (this pesky real world thing keeps getting in the
way).

Is there going to be a
DCBrickFest Jambalaya?  (I could bring one, if no plans exist.)

...sounds good to me! :-)

...you can go back to ignoring me now...

wubwub
stephen f roberts
wamalug guy  (http://wamalug.org)
wildlink.com