 Organizations / United States / TEXLUG / 57
56  |  58
Subject:
The Next Meeting
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.texlug, lugnet.loc.us.tx
Date:
Tue, 6 Nov 2001 13:28:36 GMT

Howdy Texas AFOLs!

It's time, once again, to have another meeting. Actually, the meeting won't
be for a while yet(1), but we need to start thinking and planning for it.

A few of us have discussed briefly of doing a large train layout(2) at the
meeting. This is the reason why I'm announcing the meeting so early. We'll
have a good bit of discussion and planning to do.

Finding a suitable meeting room would be first priority. A train layout will
require a lot of space and time. We'll most likely stretch this meeting out
over a full weekend. It will take a lot of time to set up, and then we'll
want to spend a good while with our "common creation".

As for the city, Austin is centrally located in Texas and many AFOLs live
there. Of course the choice of city is dependent on finding a suitable room
for the layout.

Everyone is invited to participate(3) and help to make this a spectacular event.

Please use this newsgroup to hold discussions about this event(4). Perhaps
if we keep it "public", we can draw in other AFOLs who are now reluctant to
participate, and perhaps we can receive advice from other LUG and LTC groups
who have experience with train layouts.

best regards,
TJ Avery

(1) MEETING DATE: not set yet, but it will be in spring 2002. We'll finalize
a specific date later on. (late February, anyone?)

(2) WHY TRAINS? Many of us felt that a train layout is the most common
ground between all of us. We'd like to have a large event in which we could
all participate.

(3) HOW CAN I PARTICIPATE? Even if you don't own a single piece of track,
you can still help. We'll need buildings, mountains, houses, businesses,
bridges, ports, ships, etc., etc. And if you are fortunate enough to have
track and other train parts, PLEASE come!

(4) WHAT EXACTLY WILL WE DO? To expand the common groud between us all, it
has been suggested that we use a train layout to tie together different themes.

We could have an old west section, a modern town section, and a futuristic
space port (just for example).

Also, another excellent suggestion made to me was that we model important
events and structures exclusive to Texas and its past history. (e.g.: the
Alamo, San Jacinto monumnet, a historic mission (pick one, they're many),
Battleship Texas, etc.)

These are just some ideas for the layout. If you have any suggestions,
please post them.

Also, check out the following links to get ideas from other people's train
layouts:
PNLTC galleries: http://www.pnltc.org/Galleries.html
GMLTC galleries: http://www.gmltc.org/gallery_main.asp
(Keep in mind there are many other sites too.)