 Organizations / United States / TEXLUG / 310
Re: Spring Meeting and Moonbase Modules
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.texlug
Date:
Thu, 23 Jan 2003 21:19:20 GMT

Hi Pat,
I've been trying to figure out this monorail stuff in conjuction with the
modules and here is something to consider on top of what we already talked
about.  The ramp parts consist of two parts that take the monorail up (or
down) a set height.  While you can be a little flexible with creating the up
down level, it won't allow us to get overly creative.  It seems that the
ramp parts create a rise of about 9 bricks (my estimate).  I'm wondering if
we might be better off to plan on having the monorails enter a module at 9
or 10 bricks high and/or at the lowest level the base will allow.  If we
have the monorails at 8 bricks high (like the corridor) then it won't allow
us to bring the monorail down to base level to run underneath a module if we
wanted to.  The drop of the ramps would be too much.  What do you think
about this?  If you have an example or solution, let me know.  I'm still
trying to figure out what kind of module I want to build.
regards,
Tom
ps-if anyone else is working on a monorail system with their module, speak
up and help us out.

Hi Tom.
You're right about the monorail. Actually we could get creative if the track
curves didn't have such a large radius. As it is, however, what you are
suggesting is precisely what I ended up doing with my super-module. Using
the standard monorail supports (the ones that look like oil derricks) as a
guide, I was only able to have a straight section (no curves) come in at one
end at the lowest level to pass under the module, then rise to the high
level as it exits the other end. I'm almost finished with my module, so I'll
photo it this weekend and try to get the photos published somewhere on the
web so everyone to peruse and plan with. Officially measured, the big oil
derrick supports are 10 bricks high, while the small supports are 5 bricks high.

SUMMARY: We should abandon the 8-bricks height idea and go with your
modification. In fact, I already did.

I'll publish details about the module itself in a forthcoming post.

Pat