 Organizations / United States / TEXLUG / 304
Re: Spring Meeting and Moonbase Modules
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.texlug
Date:
Fri, 17 Jan 2003 11:20:40 GMT

In lugnet.org.us.texlug, William P. (Pat) Hough writes:

-snip-

Tom, I agree we should put some kind of TEXLUG standard in place if we are
going to connect monorail track as well as moonbase modules...how about this:

Since PM standards stipulate that connecting corridors be 8 bricks off the
baseplate, with supports at least 4 studs from the baseplate edge, with the
edge of the corridor flush with the baseplate edge, and centered on one of
the baseplate edges, then why not have the track parallel the corridors at
the baseplate edge? Furthermore, since the corridors are centered, we have
plenty of room on either side for placing the track. Lessee, a track is 4
studs wide, and there are 20 studs remaining on either side of the
corridor...so, shall we say 8 studs from the edge paralleling the corridor?
Just a suggestion.

The only problem I can see of course is OK, what now? Right or left of the
corridor as it comes off the baseplate? And right or left from what angle of
view?

Tell ya what. I say whoever finishes their module first is obligated to take
a picture and post it on Brickshelf, their respective website, the Moonbase
website, or ask TJ to post it on the TEXLUG website, so that the rest of us
can coordinate something like, "OK, I am reserving the spot to the left of
Tom's module (based on the angle shown in the picture)" and plan and
coordinate that way. I would REALLY, really like to avoid a lot of
hairpulling re-building when we convene.

Comments? Bets? Popcorn? Peanuts?

I check this board daily...

Pat
Hey Pat,
I'm all for figuring out a specific guideline on the monorails, but I
thought of some other ideas to consider.
One is: What height should we have the tracks at?  The corridor doors are
elevated, so should we put the tracks elevated as well?
Another idea that I was considering is to have the track come into the
module from a different angle than the corridors.  I thought of having the
track end at the module, but extend out past the grouping of modules so that
the track didn't interfere with other people's modules!  In other words, the
monorail system would be beside the group of modules joined together and
only intersect from the outside (somehow).  Does that make sense?  So we
could set up monorail tracks on (possibly) separate tables, but have them
connect to the moonbase at a couple of individual modules, but they wouldn't
necessarily have to be built in and around other people's modules!  I was
thinking it might get too cluttered and also hinder access and viewing of
other modules if we had too much monorail stuff going on around the modules.
I even thought that maybe a corner module might be a good idea and have the
track enter and leave all in that corner.  The rest of the track could then
be built off of that without interfering with the moonbase as a whole.
One nice thing about the monorail stuff is that you can have it end or pass
through a module.  That option opens up a lot of possibilities as to how to
intersect the monorail to the moonbase setup.  Also, we can have a elevated
section of track maybe passing over the moonbase at some point without
creating too much of a hinderance.  In fact, it might be nice to have
monorails going from one end of the base to the other in some fashion rather
than have them concentrated on one side only.
One more thought: We probably need to have an idea of what clearance to give
the monorail trains if we create an area that might have an overhang or
tunnel.  I have one train that I built that is a little wider than the
normal monorail cars.  I ran into the height problem with my regular train
once before.  I would like to avoid it with the monorail this time.
Let me know what you come up with and I'm sure I can work with it.  Keep in
mind that I would like to see at least two separate monorail systems (if
possible) so that we can have at least two trains running simultaniously
without crashing. haha
Tom