Re: March 26th Smart Meeting
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.smart
Date:
Sat, 19 Mar 2005 04:20:11 GMT

In lugnet.org.us.smart, Brian Crawford wrote:
I think a larger arena makes sense, so that it doesn't get too crowded.

What size will the holes in the corners of the table be? How far away from the
walls will the center of each hole be? (I'm trying to figure out if my wall
detection will prevent me from ever finding the hole.)

Will they be quarter circles (i.e. filling the space all the way to corner) or
actual circles?

Thanks,
brian

All good questions. I was just starting to build the arena today (making larger
at 8'x6'), though I haven't cut the holes yet. My plan was to make them complete
circles, about 3" in diameter, with somewhere around 1" between the edges of the
hole and the wall. I'm slightly concerned that this will be too big a hole,
though -- that the robots with wheels less than 4" from the front edge might
fall into it. On the other hand, any smaller, and it's possible a robot trying
to deliver an egg will fail. One possibility is to put some sort of a grill over
the holes that allow eggs to easily fall into it, but keep the robots out. I
might do that.

Does anyone else have suggestions about the hole size and placement (or shape)?
If so, speak up soon, before I start cutting!

--
  David Schilling