Re: Sample SMART "Maxi-challenges"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.smart
Date:
Sat, 9 Nov 2002 09:08:50 GMT

I think the maxi-challenges should be competitive.  I certainly see lots of
value in building and demonstrating noncompetitive robots but I think the
maxi and mini challenges should be at least somewhat competitive.

Here is an idea that I have thought about for a long time that I think could
be an excellent maxi-challenge.  Build racing robots that compete on a
special racetrack where the entire width of the track is a gray scale.
Track should be wide enough that robots can pass each other, 12 to 18".
Since width of track is a gray scale, robots can tell where they are using a
single light sensor.  A basic edge type tracking robot would be sufficient
to drive down the track and navigate the turns.  By programmatically
adjusting the threshold, the robot with take a different line on the track.
Since a single sensor should be sufficient to navigate the track, other
sensors can be used for things like bumpers.  I think wheel to wheel robot
racing would be very exciting to watch.

Here is a small sample track to give you an idea of what a race track might
look like:
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/GJansson/Misc/racetracksample.jpg
(just uploaded Friday night, may take a day or so to become public)

My old SteerBot, for example, should be able to run on the track without too
much trouble.
http://www.lugnet.com/~726/SteerBot

The obvious problem I have with this challenge is making the track.  One
possibility is that the track is simply made out of sheets of paper that are
photo copies of computer printout of the various track components.  This is
probably the least expensive approach but probably won't hold up well with a
bunch of robots tearing (literally) down the track.  Another possibility is
to use a large commercial type inkjet printer to make a few very large
printouts.  A while back I checked a printing store and the prices were very
high, something like $20 for a poster size printout.  The third, probably
most expensive but must robust, is to get the track printed in one piece on
a sheet of vinyl.  I have no idea of the cost but I'm sure it would be high.
Do any of you have any other suggestions?

Regarding the meeting on Saturday, I won't be able to make it but I will try
to get someone to bring in my improved helicopter.  I have totally redone
the controller based on feedback from many of you.

Gus