Subject:
Sample SMART "Maxi-challenges"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.smart
Date:
Wed, 23 Oct 2002 01:30:30 GMT

Here are a few maxi-challenge examples. The details need to be worked out,
these are merely starting points. I would very much like to hear other
ideas, as well as discussion on these ideas.

An example that I mentioned when describing these maxi-challenges was an
inverted pendulum. Steve Hassenplug's LegWay is a beautiful example of this,
and prior to his robot, I was not aware of any Lego robot that was capable
of accomplishing this task. Steve's robot uses custom sensors, and is
extremely simple mechanically. So for these two reasons I don't think it's
appropriate as it stands for a maxi-challenge. But there might still be a
way to turn it into a good maxi-challenge.

Another idea might be to build a tight-rope walker. The idea would be that
the center of gravity of the robot would need to be above the wire it's
walking on. String a fairly tight 10-foot long wire across the tops, and
between two tables. The robot would start out on the wire where it is
stretched out across the table, and need to walk across to the other table.
This one is perhaps way too tough to do; and probably impossible without
custom sensors.

Another one - block stacking: 4x4x4 Lego cubes are scattered on a surface,
and the robot needs to collect them (all) and create a vertical stack of
these cubes. (similar to
http://www.lugnet.com/org/us/smart/~48/ideas/challenge-016 as well as
http://peach.mie.utoronto.ca/events/lego/lego-110002-rules.html)

A Tic-Tac-Toe robot - play this simple game against a human using inverted
4x4x4 Lego cubes on a baseplate.

Line-Maze solver - Follow a line maze to the ‘exit’, a 6 inch diameter
circle. The maze will be 3/4-inch wide black tape on a white surface. The
maze will be created on a regular 6-inch grid, so the turns will all be 90
degrees, and the lines will be six inches apart. You will be given one
chance to learn the maze first, and when you reach the exit, you will
immediately be placed back at the start to run through the maze a second
time, giving you an opportunity to demonstrate you’ve learned the maze by
following the shortest path to the exit the second time around. We could
make this extremely difficult by allowing there to be loops in the maze.
(similar to http://www.lugnet.com/org/us/smart/~48/ideas/challenge-013)

Figure-8 racer - Race around a figure 8 track. The track is white on a black
background, the intersection is grey. When entering the grey area, you must
broadcast message #1. Two robots are raced against each other. You need to
decide how to handle potential collisions at the intersection. Races are
some predetermined number of laps (say 10); the starting position is just
past the intersection, and robot racers should automatically stop after the
proper number of laps has been run. (similar to
http://www.lugnet.com/org/us/smart/~48/ideas/challenge-023)

Wagon push - Push a predefined wagon (instructions will be given) ten feet
to cross a line, turn around, and then return to your (unmarked) starting
point. The wagon will have four wheels, the two nearest you are steerable,
the further two fixed. (similar to
http://www.lugnet.com/org/us/smart/~48/ideas/challenge-026)

Crevice Crosser - cross a sequence of three or more tables, with predefined
gaps between each. (similar to
http://www.lugnet.com/org/us/smart/~48/ideas/challenge-040)

I'd like to hear what people think about these challenges, and I'd also like
to see some other challenges proposed.

--
  David Schilling