Subject:
November 16th SMART Meeting
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.smart
Date:
Thu, 31 Oct 2002 04:33:30 GMT

Just a reminder that the November SMART meeting will be on the 16th of the
month, at 2pm in the Redmond library, room 2. Our mini-challenge will be
Slope Traversal:

Given an eight-foot long 2x8 resting against a chair or table, build a robot
that can move up the plank no matter how steep it is. Use whatever method of
locomotion seems appropriate. Don’t fall off the plank. Note that because
the plank is resting against something, if you try to hold the bottom for
extra grip, you’ll have to deal with the place where it is held up. Also,
make sure your robot stops: don’t fall off the top!

We’ll start with the plank horizontal on the floor, with the robot on the
plank, at one end. Then for each run we’ll increase the slope. The robot
will start on the plank, but also resting on the floor for all but the first
run. (Obviously with the plank horizontal, it will be hard to sit on the
plank and rest on the floor at the same time.)

I've been playing with a grapling hook mechanism, but so far haven't found a
way to launch it (and the attached string) more than about two feet
vertically. Has anyone else tried this method and had more success?

At the meeting we'll also discuss what larger 'maxi-challenge' we'll have
for the next few months. I posted a few suggestions
(http://news.lugnet.com/org/us/smart/?n=134). Are there any other
suggestions? Or any comments on the ones I gave? In order to give people
time to think about the ideas before voting on one, and a chance to discuss
them, I suggest that only ideas posted at least a couple of days before the
meeting be considered for voting. So if you have something you think would
be cool, let us know!

--
  David Schilling