Re: Sample SMART "Maxi-challenges"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.smart
Date:
Sat, 2 Nov 2002 15:27:56 GMT

I'm not sure if the tight rope challenge is possible.  The "rope" would need
to be extremely tight, just like the ones that circus performers use, so
there is very little deflection.

The warehouse challenge for the brickheap wars would be a good
maxi-challenge, IMHO.  It would be cool to see a robot do the whole
sequence, and I think it would take people multiple iterations of
build/program/test/etc.

The crevise crosser is one I'm hoping we'll do for the next regular meeting
challenge.  Interesting challenge, but not hugely difficult.

I had this beginning of an idea of a robotic pipe inspector.  I'm thinking
some sections of 6" PVC with bends, up & down, etc.  You could make this a
maxi-challenge by adding 3 and 4 way joints, like a pipe maze.  Also, we
could put holes in the pipes and require the robot to count all the flaws
(holes), or maybe even record where the flaws are, although maybe that is
getting too difficult, particularly if there was a maze of pipes to navigate.

The block stacker sounds interesting, although the competitive aspect of
having two robots in the arena at the same time doesn't sound too good to me.

The maze robot and figure 8 sound interesting.

The wagon push seems extremely difficult, since you are talking about
pushing a 4 wheel wagon.  This is very very difficult to do when you're
driving, even on a highly maneuverable tractor, and believe me I have a lot
of experience with this from on the farm.  8^)

In lugnet.org.us.smart, David Schilling writes:
Here are a few maxi-challenge examples. (stuff deleted...)

I'd like to hear what people think about these challenges, and I'd also like
to see some other challenges proposed.

--
David Schilling