Subject:
SMART "Maxi-challenges"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.smart
Date:
Mon, 21 Oct 2002 23:50:00 GMT

A few meetings ago we decided that we would try two different types of
challenges in addition to the usual mini-challenges that SMART meetings
revolve around. The first new type of challenge was the "BrickHeap Wars"
that we did last meeting. I trust that this was a heap of fun for everyone
who participated!

The second new type of challenge that we discussed was having a 'bigger'
challenge, but giving a lot more time for it. Basically we decided that we'd
choose a challenge at the November meeting, and then for each of the next
few meetings people can bring "what they have so far" to the meetings (in
addition to the mini-challenges that we'll have). We can see what progress
is being made, suggest improvements, and just discuss the problems people
are having. Then in May 2003, besides our normal mini-challenge for that
meeting, we'll bring our final robots for the maxi-challenge as well.

These "Maxi-challenges" should be something that require both mechanical and
programming ingenuity. They should be difficult enough that everyone who
participates will learn something new about building and programming robots
by their attempts. They should be something that hasn't been done by too
many people before, and hopefully they should be something that is quite
interesting to watch or interact with.

We should discuss the particular challenge chosen for a while before making
a decision. So I propose that any ideas that people have should be posted to
this group before November 14th (two days before our next meeting) so that
people will have a chance to think about them, offer improvements, and
discuss them.

A following message will have a few proposals just to get us started.

--
  David Schilling