 Organizations / United States / RichLUG / 7
Re: New LUG -- RichLUG
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.richlug
Date:
Tue, 16 Jan 2001 06:41:23 GMT

Thanks for all the support.  I wasn't sure if I was going to be foolish in
doing setting up a LUG or not.  I think we will have to let our group here
in Richmond develop on its own without intervention.  I will always be here
to be keep it going.  I think sometimes it is better to let groups develop
naturally without any true organization.  I want to allow a forum where
fellow enthusiasts can voice there opinions and there plans openly and share
ideas and maybe even common goals.  I have been a part of many different
kinds of groups in the past, and the best policy is to deal with things as
they come.  I am sure that other LUGS have had probelms, but we will have to
deal with ours in our own way.  Before we get to far ahead of ourselves we
need to hear from all who are interested in this area that can attend
meetings.  At this point I only have a few members that have joined the
website.  That is how I am taking official count right now.  So if you want
your head counted get to the website
http://communities.msn.com/RichLUGWebsite and become a member.  I know there
are still a few people I haven't heard from yet that I am expecting too.  It
is still early yet to hear from everyone.  I am thinking our first meeting
will be on Jan. 31st.  That isn't firm.

Thanks for all of your input.

In lugnet.org.us.richlug, Stephen F. Roberts writes:
"Timothy D. Freshly" <timfreshly@i2020.net> wrote:

It's good to know that there are a few other souls here in the Richmond area
that share the hobby.  Thanks for taking the initial steps to getting this
set up.  Besides the website (which is a great start), what has been done so
far?  Do we have a headcount yet?  Any suggestions on an initial meeting
date and location?  Has there been any discussion with any other LUGs
(WamaLug, etc.) regarding set up issues, ideas, pitfalls to avoid, etc.?
Maybe at one of the initial meetings we should invite someone from WamaLug
(since they are closest) to give a small presentation on how to set up and
run a successful LUG.

...Well, not sure if wamalug is the best one to give a presentation on how to
set up and run a successful lug!!! Seeing as we seem to be having our own
internal problems (which I suppose is common in any group).

...The best thing I can say: have regular meetings and get togethers so everyone
feels comfortable around their building buddies. set up an egroups mailing list
and keep up the chatter to also foster community. and never let reality
interfere with having a good time :-)

Rich, thanks again for getting the ball rolling.

...Yes. Good job Rich! I was going to give you a couple more months and kick you
come spring time, but you beat me to the punch!!!

...Cant wait for the first meetings, I'll try to make it down :-)

Rich Schoonover <rwschoonover@earthlink.net> wrote in message
Hi

I just wanted to announce that I am starting a LUG here in Richmond Va. I
have several friends who are interested in taking part in this endeavor • and
we would like to welcome anyone who wants to take a look at our activities
in the future to come by the website and browse around.

http://communities.msn.com/RichLUGWebsite

[snip]
Thanks

Rich Schoonover