Re: Building meeting?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.nelug
Date:
Wed, 27 Sep 2000 19:26:04 GMT

In lugnet.org.us.nelug, Eric Joslin writes:
Hey guys,

A post I just made to lugnet.people got me thinking.  I don't know how
feasible this might be, but bear with me...

We've had meetings about a lot of different things- setting up NELUG, talking
about Legos, planning displays, playing BrikWars, discussing (ahem) aspects of
NELUG's makeup, and so on.  People have brought lots of stunning MOCs to these
meetings, and that's great- there's nothing I love as much as seeing someone's
really cool creations.

But one thing that's never gone on as far as I know is just plain getting
together and building MOCs.  I mean, a meeting where people throw some bricks
they think they'll use for a given project in a tub and all congregate and sit
around a chew the fat while they build.  Is this something that people would
be interested in trying to put together (no pun intended)?  There's been a lot
of talk about a NELUG Clubhouse and a NELUG LEGO Collection, and so on, but
we've never actually gotten together and just built.

Great idea and one that I hope I can take part in.  Now "Walking on Eggshells"
seeing we have a start to our NELUG LEGO Collection at least in terms of basic
bricks this might be a good way to introduce people to our collection as well
as develop "rules" as to how we handle the NELUG collection.

Another idea in conjunction with this is to have Themed building sessions where
you bring a pile of your bricks and at the meeting we either decide on a theme
for people to try an build in or we draw ideas litterally out of a hat.

I have also seen this before, I think it was where Larry visited with folks
from ITLUG.

1.  Decide on a theme.
2.  Everyone trys to pick a part that least matches that theme and gives it to
another person and then that person has to include that part in their creation.

Building is what LEGO is about and other than my nephiew I havn't built with
anyone in ages so I would be all for it.

Some Pros:

1) Working closely with other people while they work can be very insprational
for everyone.
2) Gives some social interaction to something that I think most of us do on
our own right now.

Some Cons:

1) You can't bring your whole collection to the meeting, so you might be
limited in pieces.

This isn't necessarily a con in all instances.  Sometimes limitations are fun.

2) We would probably need to investigate someplace new to hold the meeting, as
our usual spots don't have the space or structure required.

Depending on where and when and how much maybe NELUG can defray some of the
costs of this.  We can talk later as things progress.

3) Could degenerate into accusations of plagiarism or outright part theft
(although I seriously doubt it).

I'm sure there are more Pros and Cons, but these strike me right off the bat.
Would people in general enjoy this kind of meeting?  Want to give it a whirl?
Keep in mind I'm not talking about a specific date or anything yet, just
trying to gauge reaction before I even bother to go so far as to investigate
venue.

Like I said I am all for it and I hope that we can do it at a time when I can
attend.

Eric Kingsley

The New England LEGO Users Group
http://www.nelug.org/