Subject:
Building meeting?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.nelug
Date:
Wed, 27 Sep 2000 19:02:39 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Hey guys,

A post I just made to lugnet.people got me thinking.  I don't know how feasible
this might be, but bear with me...

We've had meetings about a lot of different things- setting up NELUG, talking
about Legos, planning displays, playing BrikWars, discussing (ahem) aspects of
NELUG's makeup, and so on.  People have brought lots of stunning MOCs to these
meetings, and that's great- there's nothing I love as much as seeing someone's
really cool creations.

But one thing that's never gone on as far as I know is just plain getting
together and building MOCs.  I mean, a meeting where people throw some bricks
they think they'll use for a given project in a tub and all congregate and sit
around a chew the fat while they build.  Is this something that people would be
interested in trying to put together (no pun intended)?  There's been a lot of
talk about a NELUG Clubhouse and a NELUG LEGO Collection, and so on, but we've
never actually gotten together and just built.

Some Pros:

1) Working closely with other people while they work can be very insprational
for everyone.
2) Gives some social interaction to something that I think most of us do on
our own right now.

Some Cons:

1) You can't bring your whole collection to the meeting, so you might be
limited in pieces.
2) We would probably need to investigate someplace new to hold the meeting, as
our usual spots don't have the space or structure required.
3) Could degenerate into accusations of plagiarism or outright part theft
(although I seriously doubt it).

I'm sure there are more Pros and Cons, but these strike me right off the bat.
Would people in general enjoy this kind of meeting?  Want to give it a whirl?
Keep in mind I'm not talking about a specific date or anything yet, just trying
to gauge reaction before I even bother to go so far as to investigate venue.

Thoughts?

eric