Re: Do we have any train nuts around here?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.nelug, lugnet.loc.us.ma.bos, lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 22 Jun 2000 16:54:01 GMT

In lugnet.org.us.nelug, Suzanne D. Rich writes:
<snip some impressive sounding train knowledge and LEGO train expertese>

Once NELUG gets its clubhouse, I hoped to move some train stuff in. -
Assuming there's room and it seems safe enough. It would be sinful of me
not to share this collection and take advantage of other builders'
knowledge and enthusiasm. I couldn't do much all by myself. In fact I
packed all my track away years ago when it became obvious that even with a
"LEGO room" in the house, there was not enough space for ANY kind of layout.

So! for anyone who thinks they'd like to dabble a bit in car construction,
station design or robotic functions, I'm way-game for playing. It's just a
matter of time as I say, for our group real estate to appear. I also hope
to keep some books there and 4 huge LEGO theme posters. If there's any
cloaked train heads out there (with no money) listening, it'd be in your
interest to do some homework for us in finding a location. I hope we can
get a space somewhere like the artists' studios at the Worldwide Building
in Waltham, next to the Construction Site. Would be great location with
full-time access, freight elevator, open studios occasionally, access by
commuter rail, etc.

http://www.waltham-community.org/images/199511MillDam.jpg
http://www.waltham-community.org/Waltham.html

I'd look into it, but I am wicked busy.
(As you can see by how long it took me to reply to this query.)
:-)

Me to in terms of the Baby coming.  Like I said it is one of my dreams for
NELUG to have a clubhouse but at current my time is limited.  Of course because
of the Baby much of my collection is getting relegated out of the general
living areas in the house.  Which means our unfinished basement.

So if a clubhouse does come around I would also be willing to store a large
portion of my collection there because I would rather keep it their instead of
our questionable basement.

to Eric, or others: I have a few items that may be of interest to you in
the short term. Old magazines from the train industry, a great book about
cabooses, and a fantastic (and expensive) book of Boston's rail depot
history - frighteningly detailed. If anyone would like to stop by here and
have a look - please speak up! I have many other titles- I could type up
as a list [1]. I'd love to see what y'all could build. After seeing what
folks elsewhere around the country have done already, I know my skills are
nowhere near so impressive in the car building department. And my
knowledge is not huge.

Well you probably saw the NELUG cars I through together.  (The Boxcar is in MN
at the moment).  I also put together a couple LUGNET pages for my engine and
caboose which you may or may not have seen.

http://www.lugnet.com/trains/~15/bm-gp9/2/

http://www.lugnet.com/trains/~15/bm-caboose/

I think I will be putting these up on my personal site soon, maybe tonight.

I also have 1 and 3/4 more Boxcars done.  The one I am working on will actually
have the Construction Site logo and URL on it (With permision of course).

Obviously I am a big fan of the Boston and Maine.  I have books, N scale and G
scale B&M cars and engines.  I want to do a B&M boxcar as well but I need a few
more trucks and boggie plates first.

But I have antique maps, schedules, and even pieces of actual green line
trolley! Oh, one more thing: if anyone would like to join me in trekking
about NE, I would LOVE company on a trip back to the ME trolley museum, or
to other fav places like the Cape Cod Canal's train bridge, their restored
old car ride to Hyannis, or MIT train club stuff. - I'm game!

Well here is an Idea...  My parents have a smallish vacation home that is
litteraly less than 2 miles from the trolley museum in Maine.  It wouldn't
accomidate a large crew but I think a smaller crew could fit nicely for a night
or a weekend.  Again because of the baby on the way my weekend time is limited
but it is something to keep in the back of your head.

Good to know at least one other Train fan exists.

Eric Kingsley

The New England LEGO Users Group
http://www.nelug.org/

View My Creations at: