Re: Do we have any train nuts around here?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.nelug, lugnet.loc.us.ma.bos, lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 22 Jun 2000 16:32:40 GMT

Eric Kingsley wrote:
In lugnet.org.us.nelug, Eric Kingsley writes:
Or not so nuts that do some train stuff occasionally...

I take it from the reponse, and lack there of, that there isn't much in the way
of train heads up here in New England (At least that read these newsgroups).

Actually, I'm just really late speaking up. 9v trains were what I
initially fell for as an adult LEGO builder. In 1995 (when I had a "real"
job), I went crazy and couldn't stop. I'm 9v train complete -  except for
I think, the newest set.

I've got tons of track and switches, notebook pages of layouts, a subway,
and computerized ideas like light-beam switches and bar-code reading cars.
It's always been my dream to build a large setup with a DACTA Control Lab
hooked up to my Mac, using LOGO code. I daydream mostly about stations and
passenger lines, subways, Amtrak, Cape Cod railway, etc.

(FYI, I once worked my summers in Carver, MA at Edaville RR (park/museum).)

In the process of amassing my collection I have also hoarded a good number
of old and rare books about trains and stations [1] and model railroading
of the most serious kind. many magazines too. I've been to places like the
trolley museum in Maine where I found some great bizarre stuff. I'm a fan
of Boston's elevated train history and the green line trolleys. I tried
via Auczilla to hoard green train parts.

Once NELUG gets its clubhouse, I hoped to move some train stuff in. -
Assuming there's room and it seems safe enough. It would be sinful of me
not to share this collection and take advantage of other builders'
knowledge and enthusiasm. I couldn't do much all by myself. In fact I
packed all my track away years ago when it became obvious that even with a
"LEGO room" in the house, there was not enough space for ANY kind of layout.

So! for anyone who thinks they'd like to dabble a bit in car construction,
station design or robotic functions, I'm way-game for playing. It's just a
matter of time as I say, for our group real estate to appear. I also hope
to keep some books there and 4 huge LEGO theme posters. If there's any
cloaked train heads out there (with no money) listening, it'd be in your
interest to do some homework for us in finding a location. I hope we can
get a space somewhere like the artists' studios at the Worldwide Building
in Waltham, next to the Construction Site. Would be great location with
full-time access, freight elevator, open studios occasionally, access by
commuter rail, etc.

  http://www.waltham-community.org/images/199511MillDam.jpg
  http://www.waltham-community.org/Waltham.html

I'd look into it, but I am wicked busy.
(As you can see by how long it took me to reply to this query.)
:-)

to Eric, or others: I have a few items that may be of interest to you in
the short term. Old magazines from the train industry, a great book about
cabooses, and a fantastic (and expensive) book of Boston's rail depot
history - frighteningly detailed. If anyone would like to stop by here and
have a look - please speak up! I have many other titles- I could type up
as a list [1]. I'd love to see what y'all could build. After seeing what
folks elsewhere around the country have done already, I know my skills are
nowhere near so impressive in the car building department. And my
knowledge is not huge.

But I have antique maps, schedules, and even pieces of actual green line
trolley! Oh, one more thing: if anyone would like to join me in trekking
about NE, I would LOVE company on a trip back to the ME trolley museum, or
to other fav places like the Cape Cod Canal's train bridge, their restored
old car ride to Hyannis, or MIT train club stuff. - I'm game!

-Suz (train-head in hiding)

[1]partial list:
Model Railroader Cyclopedia of Diesel Locomotives,
Rail Ventures,
   http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/188209218X/
Penn Station,
Grand Central,
Architecture of Stations and Terminals,
Bostons Depots and Terminals: A History of Bostons Downtown and Back
Railroad Stations from 1834 to Today,
The Railroad Caboose; Its 100 Year History, Legend, and Lore,
etc.
LUGNET participates in the Amazon.com Associates Program. Inserting
"/lugnet/" in a product's URL at purchase time helps LUGNET to earn a
percentage of that sale which is much appreciated. Questions? Visit www.amazon.com/associates/