Re: Brickwars rematch?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.nelug
Date:
Mon, 17 Jun 2002 04:53:31 GMT

In lugnet.org.us.nelug, Jonathan Dallas writes:
After that humiliating defeat, I would like to try this again, but with a
better layout so don't destroy those modules yet.

I'm thinking either:
- design modules with specific positions in mind
- design modules with doors on more than 2 sides-- essentially eliminate the
"corner"-y and "edge" modules.

Either of these will probably help to eliminate such a "stringy" layout. IE
the Coalition had 2 basic "paths" to walk down to get to the center, and the
Faction also had only 2 basic "paths" to walk down, although there were
slightly more rooms (and smaller rooms) available to the Faction in the last
layout.

I was thinking of having
another game on the 13th.  That would give us enough time to build one or
two more modules each.  Other suggestions for dates would be fine too, since
I know brickfest is the following weekend.

Hmm... I'll have to see when I'm free-- offhand I might be ok that weekend...

I think the 200cp was a little high due to the sheer number of troops
running around.  I would like to change that to 300cp total for each team
instead of 200cp for each player.

Maybe... Good thing we didn't go with the 300pt per person limit for this
game! :) Note, though, if the next board is going to be bigger, AND we have
fewer troops, chances are there may be unexplored rooms by the end of the
game. Also note we may be too busy exploring (and have fewer troops to
decrease liklihood of) to engage each other much.

There will be two objectives to this new game:
1. to be the first team to capture an alien.
2. to upload as many data packets as possible.

I'd be tempted to revamp the rule to *carrying* the data packets. In this
last game, there was no real reason to tote data tiles around. In fact,
there was reason to purposefully re-hide or keep out-of-reach tiles that
might otherwise be captured by the enemy. Adds a spin if you have to keep
your people alive in order to retain points. Plus, it means we can explore
more, since effectively each team spent 6 turns with 1 trooper uploading,
when they could have been out doing other things. After all, who wants to
waste a turn downloading porn when you can be out decorating the halls in
your enemies' entrails?

There will be special nets that can capture an alien drone, but watch out
for the queen, she will be hard to kill.

I'd probably say you get points for capturing aliens-- hence, aliens become
just more valuable data disks, with more points for capturing the 1st one.
And maybe a whole furlong of points for capturing the queen (if you can).

Adding danger, perhaps there's a 1d10 chance that the alien escapes the net
after capture, with a vengence on its captors!

Yesterdays game stats:
--Each team managed to upload all of the data packets within 5-6 turns.
--Each team managed to get one stinch of alien crytal from the monkeys.
--The Faction team was able to completely control the teleportor.

Although *1* alien *was* able to get in and out!

--The Faction team was able to escape with the mind controller without any
resistance.

Mind controller?

--The Faction team opened 18 modules.
--The Coalition opened only 9 modules.

-- The Faction lost 8 troops (1 intentional suicide), while 10 survived
-- The Coalition Marines lost 10+ troops, while 6 (I think) survived

--The Coalition still has one trooper wandering around the ship since the
aliens can't seem to attack him.  I think he stinks.

Following the battle, Faction troops, while cleaning out the remnants of
Coalition soldiers, found a lone trooper wandering the halls aimlessly.
Initially Faction troops attempted to fire on the unit, but were unable to
hit the unit upon multipe tries, as this unit constantly (at the last
minute) bent over to tie his shoe, lowered his head to look at his watch, or
moved out of the way to look out a window.

Frustrated with their inability to slay this Coalition trooper, a trail of
porn data disks was laid into the brig, which eventually drew in the
Coalition trooper. This also had the unexpected side effect of luring
Faction members into the brig. But it was a price worth paying to imprison
that one annoying trooper.

DaveE