Re: Brikwars questions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.nelug
Date:
Fri, 26 Jan 2001 17:40:26 GMT

In lugnet.org.us.nelug, Jeff Johnston writes:

1) Are we using the customizing weapons rules from the
  end of Chapter 2?

Sure, I don't see why not.  I don't think anyone's used them before, but it's
no biggy.  Don't go hog-wild or anything, though, making a sword that does
10d10 damage, that's all. :D

a) If so, are we using the rule to let you buy weapons
   of a higher TL? Or is it strictly TL5 and under?

TL5 and under.

2) Are people sticklers for weapon representation, esp.
  on vehicles? Or can I pretty much define things as
  I want, and just tell people beforehand "this is a
  Mk III Laser, this is a Mk II Blaster, etc."

I don't think we've ever been, just make sure your big guns are bigger than
your small guns, and have it all laid out on a piece of paper.  My attitude has
always been "if you paid the points for it, you can have it".

3) What kind of vehicle would a Landspeeder be?  Build
  it as Ground or Tracked and just say that the hovering
  is a "special effect" since it doesn't actually fly
  more than a foot or so above the ground?

I think it depends on the kind of landspeeder.  If you mean like Luke's
landspeeder in SW, and you're just going to have it sitting on the ground on
those little curved-ship-bottom pieces, then yeah, it's a ground or tracked
vehicle, it just doesn't have wheels.

If you mean a Space Marine Landspeeder from Warhammer 40k, which is going to be
hovering 1 foot off the ground in real measurements, and skimming over
obstacles, then that's a flyer. :D

4) Should I make some half-ruined buildings to bring
  along?

Sure!  Although full buildings with interiors that soldiers can get into are a
bonus.  Shaun and I are trying to work out some rules for a special objective
or two that will place a bit more of an emphasis on ground troops.

5) Is it worth learning/using the Robot Vehicles rules,
  or should I just build mecha as normal vehicles?

Depends on the Mecha, really.  Neil has a mecha built that is bascially just a
heavily modified Chrome Crusher, and he chose to just build it as a tracked
vehicle because really it's just got legs instead of tracks.  I have some fully
humanoid battlesuits built, and I built them as RVs because I want to be able
to fully utilise their arms and so on.  Shaun has a couple of mini-mechs built
that are basically like tiny little Madcats or Vultures, and he built those
with RV rules so they can kick things and jump and so on.

I guess you should basically think of the vehicle you're building and figure
out how you'll want to use it.  Build it as a tracked vehicle and you have to
be prepared for it to basically work as though it were a tank.

Does that clear things up, or make things worse? :D

eric