Re: Update on set up of the Castle display at TCS.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.nelug
Date:
Wed, 15 Mar 2000 21:01:35 GMT

In lugnet.org.us.nelug, Eric Kingsley writes:
In lugnet.org.us.nelug, Chris Phillips writes:
<snip>

Here I thought I was just a Mindstorms fan, but I'm fast becoming a Castle
World dweller!

I kind of know what you mean.  I went from Space to Star Wars to Space to
Castle.  I have a RIS kit here although I can't say I have done anything
exciting yet.  I am thinking that while my stuff is in the TCS window I will
probably try my hand at some Mindstorms stuff although to tell you the truth I
am a little intimidated.

Don't be intimidated.  If you can snap two bricks together (and I've seen
plenty of evidence that you can) then you shouldn't have any trouble using
Mindstorms.  I find that 95% of my Mindsotorms time is spent building the
device, while 5% or less is spent actually programming it.  Get yourself a
copy of NQC and RCX Command Center, and you'll be terrorizing the family cat
in no time!

Still, I wanted to let people in the group know that I'm working on this
project, and also alert you all to the clearance items at KB Toy.  In
particular, 6097 is an _excellent_ resource for this kind of modeling!

One question, what KB do you shop at the only thing near me is a KB Toyworks
and there LEGO Isle stinks.

I try to check out every KB Toy that I find, because none of them ever seem
have a lot of LEGO variety, but each individual store seems to get different
specials.  From what I understand, when they send a special to a store, they
send a whole palette (or three) of the same set.  I have found that the
pricing is very consistent on any given item from one store to the next, when
you can actually find the same item in more than one location.

I found the 6097 in the KB Toy in the Emerald Square Mall in North Attleboro.
They still had 5 or 6 sets on the shelf when I left the store, and probably a
whole pile of them in the back room as well, though I didn't ask.  I've also
found great LEGO clearance deals at KB at both the Walpole Mall and the South
Shore Plaza, though I didn't notice set 6097 in either of those locations
when
I was there last (probably a couple of weeks ago.)

For example, KB Toy in the Walpole Mall has another cool clearance item --
6441 Deep Reef Refuge http://www.lugnet.com/pause/search/?query=6441 that is
also marked down 50% to a mere $30.  This set has some cool ocean animals and
comes with a good amount of tan, including a pair of 16x32 tan baseplates.  I
have not seen this particular set at any other KB, but the Walpole store
seems
to keep re-stocking them.

Hmmm...  I guess I will just have to keep looking.  With gas prices what they
are most of those places are not really worth their while for me to drive down
to.  I think there might be a KB in the Burlington Mall but I have not been
there in ages so I don't know.  I actually love 6097 for parts it is much
better than the current Castle line up.  Its just to bad the model is kind of
weak.

Yeah, the model itself is pretty lame, which is probably why KB is still
sitting on a pile of them.  But I couldn't believe my eyes when I started
sorting the parts from the box!  Compared with King Leo's Castle for $90,
(which I don't own, so I can't say anything bad about) buying this set was,
for me, a no-brainer.  I just needed a little bit of granite...

KB seems to have store locations all over MA.  Check out:

   http://www.kbkids.com/index.html

...or more directly:

   http://www3.kbkids.com/states/kbma.htm

It appears that there are KB Toy locations in Burlington, Chelmsford,
Marlboro, Medford, Waltham, and Wochester that might be a bit closer to you.
(My knowledge of North Shore geography is a bit fuzzy, so you should probably
review their web site to see if I missed any others.)  I assume that they can
tell you over the phone whether they have this set in stock before you drive
over to one of these stores.  It's also possible that they can get one (or
more) sent from another store if you ask politely.

If you're interested, I could try to pick up one or more of these for you at
cost if I get back over there soon, which I am hoping to.  But I don't know
when I'd be any closer to you than any of these stores is...  (I'm not sure if
I will be able to attend the upcoming BrickWars event, unfortunately.)  But
let me know if/how many 6097's you'd like me to pick up for you.

If I shill for KB Toys any harder, they're going to have to put me on their
payroll!  (Then again, with clearance deals like these, I suppose I already
am!)