Re: Update on set up of the Castle display at TCS.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.nelug
Date:
Wed, 15 Mar 2000 20:30:45 GMT

In lugnet.org.us.nelug, Chris Phillips writes:
<snip>

Yeah, I was actually planning to get some roof service packs for this
project.  (I read about them in your write-up about your Inn.  Very cool
building by the way!)  I was hoping to use black 45-degree slopes, and I
estimate that I will need about 300 or 400 4x4 slope pieces of various types
to put a decent hip roof over King Leo's head.

Sounds pretty cool that was about what I had to use for my Inn.  If you go with
black and you need some gable end connectors or 1x2 half piramid pieces let me
know because I have a couple left.  Or you could check The Construction Site
for set 2152.  This set has a bunch of both pieces but I don't know if The
Construction Site has any more or not.

<snip>

Cool.  I'd be psyched for some or all of my stuff to be included in the
display if it "fits" (in every meaning of the word) but I won't be at all
disappointed if it doesn't.  I'm having a lot of fun building this stuff, and
I'd probably do it even if there wasn't a group goal to reach.

Here I thought I was just a Mindstorms fan, but I'm fast becoming a Castle
World dweller!

I kind of know what you mean.  I went from Space to Star Wars to Space to
Castle.  I have a RIS kit here although I can't say I have done anything
exciting yet.  I am thinking that while my stuff is in the TCS window I will
probably try my hand at some Mindstorms stuff although to tell you the truth I
am a little intimidated.

Still, I wanted to let people in the group know that I'm working on this
project, and also alert you all to the clearance items at KB Toy.  In
particular, 6097 is an _excellent_ resource for this kind of modeling!

One question, what KB do you shop at the only thing near me is a KB Toyworks
and there LEGO Isle stinks.

I try to check out every KB Toy that I find, because none of them ever seem to
have a lot of LEGO variety, but each individual store seems to get different
specials.  From what I understand, when they send a special to a store, they
send a whole palette (or three) of the same set.  I have found that the
pricing is very consistent on any given item from one store to the next, when
you can actually find the same item in more than one location.

I found the 6097 in the KB Toy in the Emerald Square Mall in North Attleboro.
They still had 5 or 6 sets on the shelf when I left the store, and probably a
whole pile of them in the back room as well, though I didn't ask.  I've also
found great LEGO clearance deals at KB at both the Walpole Mall and the South
Shore Plaza, though I didn't notice set 6097 in either of those locations when
I was there last (probably a couple of weeks ago.)

For example, KB Toy in the Walpole Mall has another cool clearance item --
6441 Deep Reef Refuge http://www.lugnet.com/pause/search/?query=6441 that is
also marked down 50% to a mere $30.  This set has some cool ocean animals and
comes with a good amount of tan, including a pair of 16x32 tan baseplates.  I
have not seen this particular set at any other KB, but the Walpole store seems
to keep re-stocking them.

Hmmm...  I guess I will just have to keep looking.  With gas prices what they
are most of those places are not really worth their while for me to drive down
to.  I think there might be a KB in the Burlington Mall but I have not been
there in ages so I don't know.  I actually love 6097 for parts it is much
better than the current Castle line up.  Its just to bad the model is kind of
weak.

Eric Kingsley

The New England LEGO Users Group
http://www.nelug.org/