Re: Parts for Meijers in GATS
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.michlug
Date:
Sun, 19 Aug 2001 22:23:35 GMT

In lugnet.org.us.michlug, Amy Hughes writes:
In lugnet.org.us.michlug, Scott Sanburn writes:
We don't have a scale standard, nor should we have one... If Rick sets
his standards high, let him,

My thoughts on scale, and I'm obviously biased :-) ...

In the last show we had a shell station that took up more space than the
cathedral. Does that make sense? Logically, no. But every bit of it was crammed
with interesting detail. It's a great model, and IMO deserves every bit of space
it took.

Would a Meijer of similar size or larger make sense? Logically, yes. After all,
Meijer stores are multi-acre beomoths. Would it look good in the display? I'd
say probably not. I can't see a big-box store having enough interesting detail
to warrant that much space. But if Rick thinks otherwise I wouldn't keep him
from building it. I, after all, don't know what he has in mind.

Does a large cathedral made sense? I'm biased, so I won't answer that except to
say that cathedrals are large buildings and, IMO, are artistically and
architecturally interesting. Was the GATS church interesting enough to warrant
the space it took? It was a heck of a lot of work, so I hope so. If it wasn't,
let me know so I won't do similar things in the future.
Umm Amy it was great, don't even THINK about saying it wasn't interesting
enough!I saw a ton of people pointing to it at the show.Besides it must have
been pretty good considering GATS put a picture of it on there web page.
My own unofficial standard for my own use is that a large roof is uninteresting,
unless you can still see inside and the interior space is interesting. As such,
you won't find me building Wal-Marts (a big box, basically), though a mall with
lots of little shops with distinct facades inside and out and some interior
detail behind sections of clear roof is a possibility.

Bottom line: building "to scale" is a silly concept when you're working with
minifigs. Appropriate size should be judged on how interesting the model is.

Amy