Re: Parts for Meijers in GATS
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.michlug
Date:
Sun, 19 Aug 2001 14:11:20 GMT

Peter & All,

Rick, I don't mean to rain on your parade, but I think a 6-baseplate
meijer's is way too big for a number of reasons.

First off, we're not going to have THAT much more space than in GR, and • you
and Kai are already talking Army and Navy bases.

Actually, the GATS people said we can have as much as we want. So there goes
that.

Second, I think it's going to be out of proportion with a lot of the other
things at the show.  A Meijer's almost as big as a car (go-cart) factory??

Third, taking up that much space will prevent a lot of other smaller
buildings from going in the show.  I fear we're headed to a day when our
"train" show will be a church, a Shell station, and a Meijer's with a loop
of track... Obviously that's a humorous exaggeration, but if by XL
baseplates you mean the 15" gray ones, you're talking about 30" x 45".  We
could put a lot of buildings in that space.

Now, Peter, that's not a little bit of an exaggeration, it is an insulting
exaggeration, frankly. We don't have a scale standard, nor should we have
one. The first one we have is the older downtown area. If we have space
constraints, such as in GR, that's one thing, but
Novi, no. Not according to what the GATS people said, and not according to
the spirit we have in this group.

I'd recommend you set your sights on a smaller Meijer's.  My McDonald's is
not to scale... but everyone knows what it is, it gets the idea across,
and fits into the tapestry of our larger display.  I would think you could do
a Meijer's on 4 regular baseplates (not counting parking lot) and get the
idea across better than with a behemoth... it would also cut down on the
pieces you'd have to beg/borrow/steal/buy.  Maybe the parking lot could be
shared with something else, like I'll do with my fast food restaurants.

If Rick sets his standards high, let him, and see if he can actually build
it. If he can't then he can scale it back or whatever. Shooting down
anyone's idea just because of non-existant space contraints is not needed,
and counter-productive.

I think the GATS show in GR was a great example of both a train and a town
display, and I think we are headed for greater shows down the road.

Scott S.
--
MichLUG Member, www.michlug.org
Personal Page: www.geocities.com/~legoguy712