Re: Parts for Meijers in GATS
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.michlug
Date:
Sun, 19 Aug 2001 02:01:11 GMT

In lugnet.org.us.michlug, Peter Guenther writes:
Rick, I don't mean to rain on your parade, but I think a 6-baseplate
meijer's is way too big for a number of reasons.

First off, we're not going to have THAT much more space than in GR, and you
and Kai are already talking Army and Navy bases.

Second, I think it's going to be out of proportion with a lot of the other
things at the show.  A Meijer's almost as big as a car (go-cart) factory??

Third, taking up that much space will prevent a lot of other smaller
buildings from going in the show.  I fear we're headed to a day when our
"train" show will be a church, a Shell station, and a Meijer's with a loop
of track... Obviously that's a humorous exaggeration, but if by XL
baseplates you mean the 15" gray ones, you're talking about 30" x 45".  We
could put a lot of buildings in that space.

I'd recommend you set your sights on a smaller Meijer's.  My McDonald's is
not to scale... but everyone knows what it is, it gets the idea across, and
fits into the tapestry of our larger display.  I would think you could do a
Meijer's on 4 regular baseplates (not counting parking lot) and get the idea
across better than with a behemoth... it would also cut down on the pieces
you'd have to beg/borrow/steal/buy.  Maybe the parking lot could be shared
with something else, like I'll do with my fast food restaurants.

What do other people think?

Peter

I am thinking of cancelling the Navy Base AND the meijers for concerns with
rare pieces.

Rick