Re: Has anyone seen the new World City sets yet?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.town, lugnet.org.us.lugola
Date:
Mon, 9 Jun 2003 00:36:49 GMT

In lugnet.town, Benjamin Medinets wrote:
If I remember correctly, the Product Book is the retail book given to
authorized retailers of LEGO.

     No, those are retailer catalogs.  I've seen those, and they're about the
size of a magazine.  The Product Books are about 7.5" square, and they're made
available to everyone who attends the LEGO Toy Fair showroom.

I think it is a violation of LEGO's confidentiality code to post the scans as
there are dealer prices on them.

     I won't name names, but I know of at least two websites that have been
contacted by TLC to remove images from the retailer catalogs that were posted
long before the product was supposed to be publicly unveiled.  Once NY Toy Fair
hits in February, all officially produced images of product in the showroom are
effectively open for publishing.  The only retail product that I know they
pointedly kept out of the showroom this year was Taka Nuva, and that was because
they wanted to keep the design under wraps until the Mask of Light release date
was a bit closer.  I expect the retailer catalog does have dealer pricing listed
somewhere, but I don't remember glimpsing any when I was pointing out the
listing for a set I wanted ordered at a local store when they had trouble
finding it (I wasn't exactly looking for any pricing info, though).  Regardless,
the Product Book only shows MSRP, and the only stores that wouldn't want you to
see that are the ones that jack the prices up, like TRU and FAO.  Not that they
can stop you from seeing it in the S@H catalog, or pretty much any other retail
chain.

I highly doubt the Train Shed will be in the retailers catalogue, because it
is deemed a "Shop @ Home Exclusive"

     It certainly won't this year.  Probably not even if they offer it next year
as a retail exclusive like the RBR and Sopwith Camel, since they wouldn't want
to have every other store chain trying to order them.  It'd probably be added as
a loose page supplement to the catalogs given out to the chain that they get
contracted to, assuming they sell well enough at S@H to justify the transfer to
retail.