 Town / 6282
Re: Has anyone seen the new World City sets yet?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.town, lugnet.org.us.lugola
Date:
Sun, 8 Jun 2003 23:49:35 GMT

In lugnet.town, Steve Moldovanu wrote:
Um....what is this Product Book you are talking about?

     It's something they hand out at Toy Fair that contains small images of
nearly every set that will be released at retail.

Could you make any scans of it?

     The design of the 2003 PB is not conducive to scanning.  It's bound with a
1/4" thick glued spine.  Last year's was spiral bound, which allows it to lay
flat without destroying it, but this one wouldn't be very easy to scan in unless
you cut the spine off, or creased the pages near the binding.  Since I only have
one copy, I'm not particularly keen on either option.

Yeah that's most of the 2003 sets but what is "Advanced Designer"? Are those >the Designer sets?

     Designer is the group of seven sets that were released in April, like the
Robobots.  Advanced Designer is the group of three sets that can be used to
create really large vehicles.  The blue set makes nautical vehicles (like the
cigarette boat), the red set makes aircraft (like the helicopter), and the
yellow set makes land vehicles (like the pickup truck).  They range from $60-$80
in price.

Anyway, LEGO might pull of some surprises (e.g. Train Shed, Train Level
Crossing and I heard another monster-sized Star Wars set)

     The two new Train sets are released through LEGO Direct, and the Product
Book is aimed primarily at retail purchasing agents, so they don't include those
sets unless they are being offered for retail sale, like the RBR was last year.
Also, the news you heard about "another monster-sized Star Wars set" is more
rumor than news.  ToyFare magazine talked to someone in the LEGO organization,
and they were told that TLC is considering the possibility of doing another big
UCS set.  FBTB asked for confirmation, and they were basically told that
"considering" is the key word.  There weren't any firm plans last we heard,
which means it'll probably be next year at least before we see anything.