Re: SD airport <-> Carlsbad driving time?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.lugola, lugnet.people, lugnet.loc.us.ca.sd, lugnet.legoland.california
Date:
Sat, 31 Mar 2001 05:18:21 GMT

In lugnet.org.us.lugola, Brad Hamilton writes:
Todd Lehman <lehman@javanet.com> wrote in message
Say, I've been wondering...how much time should I allow for driving
between Carlsbad and the San Diego airport and back?  I'll be renting a car
the last week of April and will be picking some family members and friends
up at the airport.  I realize the answer probably depends highly on the time
of the day.  :-)  Any info/tips appreciated.  :-)

--Todd>
Hi Todd,
I've only driven that route on the weekends and it takes roughly 30-40
minutes (without traffic).
Yes, I would say 45+ minutes with _no_ traffic and (and this is *after* you
get out of the messy SD airport, that could be a chore in itself).  Just hop
on the 5 freeway for the entire trip.

I've heard that traffic can get pretty bad on the weekdays on that stretch.

(weekdays)
Mornings = traffic going south into SD
Mid-day = a tad congested in both directions, nothing too bad (usually)
Afternoons = LOTS of traffic going north, away from SD
Night = for the most part you will have no problems

(weekends)
There is no set scheduele for traffic that I have seen, just hope for no
accidents and no events at the Del Mar fair.

Also the area around Del Mar fair usually has traffic going south for some
reason, but not too bad on the weekends. If there is somethng going on at
the fair that weekend (I think there is a horse show?) then the mornings and
afternoons will be messy around that area, espically in the AM - getting off
the freeway to go to the fair is horrible.

I am going (well hoping, plans are not 100% as of yet) up to Carlsbad in the
morning, I will go over to the airport so I can give an exact time (good for
that day only, lol).

I would say if you are looking for a estimate of time for CB to the airport
to pick people up, give yourslf at least 90 mins, and I would think that
would be cutting it close - you have to get around in the airport, and that
is scary even to me.

Any other thoughts?

Mark
mfuss903@aol.com

Brad

x'ed to legoland.ca to maybe get a few other thoughts