Re: Maze robot testing
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.laflrc
Date:
Wed, 1 Feb 2006 15:54:36 GMT

In lugnet.org.us.laflrc, Steve Hassenplug wrote:

For those of you who have built maze running robots before
for NEIRG, what sort of test setup did you use?

   The only time I ran it I used 1x4's and tested in a "U" shape (both clockwise
& counterclockwise) on my kitchen floor. This worked great, until event day when
the floor friction fouled me up (I may have to cobble up a test system like
Bryan suggested, with styrofoam... although isn't the NEIRG course painted black
as well, so the friction charecteristics would be due to the paint as well?).

Greg pointed out the simplest shape which will test out most of the turn
combinations is a '4' (with an open top).

   I use a "U", and for simple turns an "L" would work... but turning around in
a dead-end (the "bottom" of the "U", or the "cup of the 4") seemed to be a
significant problem. Another that some robots might have is overshooting on
outside turns (less of a problem, but easy enough to test).

Does anybody have any hints about what to avoid... [to] keep me from
having surface-related problems in the maze?

   Yes. The surface :-). Steve's suggestion is a good one, having nothing that
can drag or snag anywhere on the robot. Th three biggest problems I saw were (a)
some part of the robot getting snagged, (b), the robot getting turned around, or
(c) getting caught in a corner. The last caught me (twice, just a few feet away
from the exit).

For reference, my maze robot runs on the small mag wheels,...
A couple people have told me they have faster robots,...

   Another point to remember for those in the "beat Steve" camp - keep in mind
larger wheels may not cut it. If you've not seen A-mazing run, it's *very*
smooth along the straights and wastes little time in turns. A robot that runs
faster along the straights, but does poorer in turns, will still have a tough
time. The NEIRG maze of years past has been heavy on turns, so turning time is
at least as important as "speed runs" down the (few) straightaways.

remember the robot has to be able to make it through the maze, or
it doesn't matter.

   I entered a near-copy of A-mazing, and took third. I would have taken  second
(mine was much fazster than the ultimate 2nd place), but my robot got caught in
a corner in one of the last dead-ends in the maze... *twice*... I'm not even
sure how I could have tested this out, since surprisingly it did fine on dozens
of dead-ends in the maze up to that point, always to somehow *just* hit wrong in
the same near-the-finish dead-end.
   Oh, and who took first that year? Steve with A-mazing. It's a very elegant
robot.

--
Brian Davis