Re: Maze robot testing
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.laflrc
Date:
Tue, 31 Jan 2006 14:11:37 GMT

In lugnet.org.us.laflrc, John Brost wrote:
I've been thinking about putting together a maze robot for NEIRG.  Last night it
went from "thinking" to "doing" as I built a prototype.  Now I'm wondering, how
do I test thing thing?  I've never really spent much time making a maze running
robot, and I'm not really sure how to test it.  For those of you who have built
maze running robots before for NEIRG, what sort of test setup did you use?

Greg pointed out the simplest shape which will test out most of the turn
combinations is a '4' (with an open top).  That's just 3 walls, two are 12"x12"
and one is 12"x24".  Remember, the walls are 12 inches high and 1/8 inch thick,
and each cell is 12x12.

Also, if I recall correctly, the surface of the NEIRG maze isn't exactly
perfectly uniform.  Does anybody have any hints about what to avoid in robot
design/programming that will keep me from having surface-related problems in the
maze?

You can't have anything dragging.  It needs to roll.  There is a 1/8 inch gap
where the walls go, and sometimes it steps up or down 1/8 inch.

For reference, my maze robot runs on the small mag wheels, attached directly to
the motors.  That robot has done well in all the events it's entered.  It's the
reason the NEIRG rules were changed to dis-allow robots from entering both the
LEGO and the OPEN class.

A couple people have told me they have faster robots, but remember the robot has
to be able to make it through the maze, or it doesn't matter.  Last night Bryan
said he had a faster maze robot, but he's said that before...

Steve