Re: Maze robot testing
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.laflrc
Date:
Tue, 31 Jan 2006 14:35:59 GMT

A couple people have told me they have faster robots, but remember the robot has
to be able to make it through the maze, or it doesn't matter.  Last night Bryan
said he had a faster maze robot, but he's said that before...

John - the surface of the NEIRG maze is 1" thick blue insulating styrofoam.  It
has a different friction characteristic than other surfaces...As I am sure you
know, this is  important for turning.  I built my own 3 foot x 4 foot test area
and use a shape like a 6 on it to test.  Steve/Greg's suggestion of a 4 would
work too, as would a 1' x 2' "O" with a 1' side panel removed.  All of these
shapes require the 3' x 4' test area.  The problem I had last February was the
surface friction.  This both slowed my robot and made it turn funny (hence it
didn't complete the maze).  This has been resolved in both NQC and brickOS.

Steve - I didn't have to tell you that I had an operational robot that
successfully navigates the maze at a higher speed than yours.  I did that in the
spirit of giving you an opportunity to speed yours up (because I am sure you
could).  But, hey, if you think your robot is still the best, then don't change
it.  I wouldn't mind getting 1st place.

Bryan