Re: tic-tac-toe - Clearing the board
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.laflrc
Date:
Fri, 4 Nov 2005 15:40:38 GMT

In lugnet.org.us.laflrc, Steve Hassenplug wrote:

Should we offer a time bonus... for... clear[ing]
the board after the game is over?

   How exactly are we defining clearing, and are both robots going to be
attempting such clearing at the same time? I have visions of the "clearing"
phase being a place we can all apply our Sumo robots...
   Perhaps a "self-reseting" system should get the award - a robot that not only
"clears the board", but can completely reset itself after the game is over. And
clearing the board should be one robot at a time (first to play is first to
clean, or something like that).

I'm open to going with the majority.

   I would say a small bonus, nothing enough to throw the game. Mearly as a way
to discriminate between two bots who are oh-so-close on the speed issue.

   On that subject, how do we actually determine who's robot is fastest,
especially if it's close? If it's a round-robin system, then one simple way
would be to add up all the times from all the matches, that being the score for
each robot, lowest wins. Perhaps if two robots *don't* draw, the one who wins
gets their time for that match cut in half, while the other (loosing) robot gets
the full match time added to their score, for instance.

--
Brian Davis