Subject:
tic-tac-toe bots
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.laflrc
Date:
Thu, 3 Nov 2005 18:16:39 GMT

I know alot of you guys are focusing on Chibots right now but...

So I actually felt like building last night and was thinking of tic-tac-toe.  We
had talked about awarding a time bonus to robots who could clear the board of
their blocks after a game.  It sounded good at the time...

But last night I was fiddling around with things and it occurred to me that
actually making a robot do this could be really tough with a single RCX because
of the necessary movements.  First there is X and Y movements (looking from the
top of the board) to move your block around on the board.  This needs 2 motor
outputs.  Then there is probably some sort of grabber/release mechanism to
drop/grab blocks (1 motor output).  Then there is a z-axis (up/down) movement
necessary so the robot could raise it's blocks up and over blocks that are
already on the board (1 motor output).  That's 4 motor outputs, which is going
to cause a problem for single-RCX robots.  It might be possible to combine the
z-axis movements with the grapper pinch-release movements, but it would take
some very, very good building.  And I haven't even listed any separate movements
for a sensor to look at the board (which is not necessary, but some builders
might want one), or any sort of motor-driven block loader (most people will
probably use gravity).

Bottom line is I think there are too many necessary movements for a single RCX
robot, which I think is one of the things we were trying to do with this game if
we implement a time bonus for clearing the board.

Or maybe I just can't figure out how to do it, so I don't want anybody else to
be able to get a bonus for clearing their board ;)

John