Re: Is IndyLug meeting anytime soon?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.indylug
Date:
Mon, 29 Jul 2002 04:52:58 GMT

OK, so we had a meeting today, July 28th. I volunteered to report to the
newsgroup, so here goes.

I think the AFOLs who were there were:
Steve Martin (host)
Steve Hassenplug
Tom Garrison
Leah Cardaci
Mark Peterson
Jeremy ?
Brian Alano
[did I forget someone?]

Thanks to Steve's wife (sorry, forgot her name already) for hostessing
and putting up with us. Thanks to Jeremy's fiance for coming. Steve
Martin's kids, nieces and nephews were the only children there. The
others bowed out. More on that in the editorial section of this message.

We found a ringer in the crowd. Steve Hassenplug brought PR36, his
Brickfest 2002 champion sumo robot and a couple models. Most others also
brought MOCs. We seem to have a fair variety of interests, and each
contribution was a treat to see. Hopefully some pictures will be posted
on the IndyLUG web site soon.

Speaking of that, Jeremy volunteered to take over setting up the web
site. Send him your submissions and ideas. He also gathered E-mail
addresses of those in attendance and will be posting those to this
newsgroup, I believe.

Steve Martin asked about IndyLUG participating in events. The consensus
was that with his most excellent train layout participating in a train
show made the most sense. If I eavesdropped correctly, Steve Hassenplug
will explore adding a Round ???, Brian will look at some
automation/control features and maybe an autonomous vehicle, Leah will
build a park, Mark a church and graveyard and Tom a skyscraper. Or was
that Mark a skyscraper and Tom a church?

Was someone going to contact a train show sponsor about us participating?

The next meeting is September 8th. Beginning with that meeting we will
meet every 2nd Sunday of each month at 4:00 P.M. at Steve Martin's barn
behind his house.

We did not institute any organizational structure, although I seem to
have been recruited as "secretary".

That's all I remember of significance. I wasn't the last to leave, so if
anything else needs reported, those who remained will have to add to
this post.

Now for my "editorial", FWIW.
It's a shame mine and other kids didn't make it, because we didn't get a
fair test of how well it worked with kids. IMHO, Steve's kids and
nieces/nephews didn't detract at all. Indeed, I enjoyed showing them the
models and MOCs, even though they weren't mine. Steve's place is
kid-friendy and my kids would have had a great time. And as Steve Martin
pointed out, The Lego Group is more interested in serving whole families
of Lego fans than in serving typical AFOLs.

Build well,
Brian