 Organizations / Italia / ItLUG / 5317
Re: Contapalle per il GBC
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.it.itlug
Date:
Thu, 8 Feb 2007 13:17:01 GMT

In lugnet.org.it.itlug, Brian Davis wrote:
But I don't think I've seen anything displaying them on the computer (instead of
the RCX or NXT).

The idea of displaying the ball count on the "big screen" is for show reasons.
Of course it's easier to display it on the RCX or NXT, but it's not easy to read
for a crowd of childrens :-)
I also thought of using seven-segments LED digits which are very bright, but I
would have to make the printed circuit board and I don't have time for it.

Come to think of it, since the NXT can communicate to the PC
via BT (Bluetooth), it should be possible to have a NXT-based GBC module that
counts balls, using BT to communicate them to a PC for display.

It's a possibility, but I don't think we will have a NXT unit available for this
purpose. Also, I don't have it so I don't know how to do this, and it requires a
computer equipped with a Bluetooth module, which may be not available.
I'm using a Velleman K8055 USB Experiment Interface Board
http://www.vellemanusa.com/us/enu/product/view/?id=500349 which is very cheap,
it can be connected to almost every computer built in the last 8 years, and
comes with a simple DLL to use it.

Actually, you
could also have a NXT-based counter that communicates with a different NXT-based
switching module, so if a section of the GBC stops working (no balls coming
through) it signals the upstream switching module to shut down that branch
automatically. Or "pages" a human who's wearing an NXT on their hip to come and
fix things, etc.

A bit too much for our taste :-)

Ciao

Gabriele