 Organizations / Canada / VLC / 505
504  |  506
Subject:
Building plans
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.vlc
Date:
Tue, 24 Oct 2000 19:46:59 GMT

Robin posted a great list so I'm going to shove it in here, with
comments:

SW west corner - airport w/ monorail and train station, airplanes,
      helicopter, limos, taxis, luggage, tarmac vehicles (fuel truck,
      luggage cart, firetruck, plane "mover"), buses, control tower

I have one jet plane, several smaller planes, large and small
helicopters, big 6-wide red fire truck. We need at least one more big
passenger plane. We could have one plane mounted up on the clear ion
cannon from teh Naboo Swamp set to look as if it's taking off.

The train stsaion/monorail station/airport need to integrate and it's
going to be complicated fitting the platform along the track there.

SW middle - residential, houses, cars, bicycles, park or playground,
      typical yards, some with fences, BBQ's, pools, playhouses,
      gardens, greenhouses, landscaping

South of the tracks, right. Not a lot of space here. I've got one ranch
house with carport (32x32, one corner store (16x32), and could easily do
anotehr house (with a DARK GREY roof!)

SW east corner - train goes higher, perhaps mountain, wilderness area,
      trees, hikers, camping, cabin, off road vehicles, logger,
      logging truck

The mountain would probably need to be done on 3 baseplates as one lump.
I moved the monorail track westwards a bit in that section to get rid of
a few short track pieces: that gives us space on top of the mountain but
less space below. I can do 4 or 5 big trees (about 6" high, deciduous).

NW west corner to beach - downtown, taller buildings, office building,

      town hall, bank, hospital, police, fire, park, trucks, cars, gas
      station, controlled intersection or two with lights, etc.

I have a whacking big school (32x64) which could also do duty as a town
hall quite easily. The Victorian house should be somewhere here - it's
too tall and skinny for the rural area further south. There could be 2
of them if wised, one yellow and one teh current blue/white. Those are
16x32. The park is 32x32. There's some narrow space between road and
tracks where the market would go quite nicely (16x64). I also have an
old-ish Lego set fire stn (6389) but it might well look out of place
against the MOC buildings. Got traffic lights. Need a restuarant, and
probably a McDonalds.

      * Somewhere near the North side of the layout perhaps near the
      NW corner where there are two tracks, we should put Dean's
      twin crossing.

The crossing goes east of the airport where 2 straight tracks cross the
road. I think it's the only place we can get 2 straight tracks doing
that.

W Beach - what you would expect, sunbathers, boats, water skiers,
      swimmers, lifeguard stand (a la Baywatch)

Paradisa! I also have 6595 Surf Shack ready built, and the 6342
Coastguard rescue helicopter. That tan 32x32 baseplate with river would
be nice here, the river crossing the beach to teh sea.

SW End of beach - where train track curves, rocky outcropping (a la
      "White Rock") leading to a bridge over the "river".
River - technic (or Znap) bridge over it, monorail track on top

I'd kinda like to do the whole "beside the water" section that's going
on the low table, bring it pre-built and blend it in on Sat afternoon.
That bridge is going to be 2-level to carry 9v and monorail tracks.

Middle of water - at least one island, with perhaps a lighthouse or
      something else on it, buoys, seaplane

Cool! Buoys are easy and add a certain je ne sais quoi, but we better
get it right because otherwise people will know! Better dig out my old
Power Squadron course books <g>.

E Beach - container port, docks, container ships, tug boats

I have parts for big ships, but none built except the one from Diving
Expedition Explorer. A tug boat would be very cool! Got lots of small
sail and power boats, windsurfers, etc.

NE west corner - container port, crane, containers, forklifts, trucks,
      workers, warehouse and other buildings

Dean's going to do teh crane, right Dean? I have one forklift.

NE middle and east corner - train yard, sidings w/ extra rolling
      stock, covered train building or repair shop

There could be large industrial buildings on teh corner with teh track
going right under the building, with interior visible from teh edge of
the layout.

E middle - at monorail siding, a train and monorail station, escalator
      going down from building between two tracks possibly

That monorail siding needs to be a wee bit longer, I think. Escalator
with lots of silver grilles for teh steps.

SE west corner - other industrial, factories, garbage dump?

Ewww! A garbage dump? Well, I do have a Recycle truck.

SE east corner - other industrial, refinery (Dean's twin oil tanks)?

Got an Octan tanker truck.

* The entire layout liberally sprinkled, where appropriate, with
streetlights, mailboxes, phone booths, power and telephone poles,
billboards, and above all, HUMOUR!  Little funny scenes that will make
people want to study the layout to spot them.

Got lots of streetlights and traffic lights, about 10 mailboxes. Got a
lot of 6x10 red plates which have studs only round teh edges... would
make great billboards (stick ads out of magazines on them).

Lots of human interest...

Cat stuck in tree with firefighter on ladder, rescuing? Hoboes? Police
chase? Building on fire? Roadworks? Building under construction?
Building being painted? Building being *burgled*! Bus stops with people
waiting. Fishermen. People doing things... playing, gardening, hiking,
swimming, jogging, biking, sitting, talking, burgling, climbing (on the
rock face), lots more we can do all through th eshow and keep changing
things.

Kevin
Personal Lego Web page:
City Park: Limited edition kit