 Organizations / Canada / VLC / 148
Re: Public Events
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.vlc
Date:
Sun, 18 Jun 2000 16:30:13 GMT

Kevin Wilson wrote:
Well, I went to Legoland Windsor last summer (pics are on my web page)
but because we only had time to "do" miniland there just wouldn't be a
presentation in it. If there were several people who had been to the
different Legolands, that might work.

That's definitely a good idea.

However, I personally am more interested in the kind of play
get-together that we have as a members meeting right now, than in
putting on talks for the general public.

Well, it's still only for those people that have actually caught wind of
what's gonna be talked about.  I can understand why you enjoy the kind
of get-togethers that the VLC has currently, and I would never suggest
replacing them... just augmenting them with something that it'd be safer
for anyone to go to.

Mark, I get from your messages that you feel people might be reluctant
to join and come to a members meeting without having the opportunity to
meet some memebers first (eg at a public event). Given that there is
currently no cost or obligation to joining up via the website, why do
you think that might be?

The idea of "joining" a club does, to many people (certainly the ones
who score a fairly high 'I' score on the Meyer's personality tests),
conveys the idea of some degree of commitment, even if just on a
subconcious level.  Further, a lot of people don't like giving out ANY
personal information to people they have not personally met.  The
opportunity to actually meet members first would help such people to
feel more at ease about giving their information to the VLC organizers
so they can receive notices about what is going on.

Does that make sense?

Mark