 Organizations / Canada / VLC / 143
Re: Public Events
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.vlc
Date:
Sun, 18 Jun 2000 06:23:45 GMT

So... let's talk about it.

I think it wouldn't be a bad idea for a meeting to have one or two
people speak who've been to LEGOland.  I haven't gone there yet, and I
think it'd it'd be a real hoot to hear about somebody's experiences
there.  Maybe a video or slide show, and showing off of some souvenirs
which might be at best quite difficult to obtain.

Although, as I said in my last message, that may be a lot more dull than
when we all get to actually play with LEGO, there would still be the
extensive opportunity for socializing, and it would also have the
benefit of probably being able to be open to anyone attending.  Giving
nonmembers a chance to actually meet some of the members and decide
whether or not they're the sort of people to hang out with.  Of course,
having the pure, unadaulterated playtime meetings is fun too, and I can
see the need to keep access to those limited to invitees.  (Not so much
for exclusivity, as I was originally thinking, but simply because in an
arena where there is that much play going on, the chaos level is going
to be too high to have any reasonable control.  Couple that with the
probable presence of a significant number of people who haven't made any
sort of admission about who they are to anybody, and the opportunity for
LEGO theft skyrockets.)  I would personally prefer to see the
member-only meetings actualy be *LESS* frequent than the meetings where
anyone could come and meet the VLC members, but that would require
either reducing the frequency of the member-meetings (it's more of an
event than a meeting, actually), or making the open meetings something
even more frequent than once a month.  Twice a month, perhaps.  Maybe a
compromise between the two... one month a public meeting, the next month
a member event, the next month a public meeting, and so on...

I'm just thinkin' out loud here.

Thoughts?

Mark